1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Soccer - "The Un- American Activity"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boom_70, Jul 4, 2006.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Again, I think you're wildly overstating the percentage who leave this with a bad taste in their mouth, Bub. There are more good results in this than a kid reaching the top level of his/her sport. There's also a better chance that this kid is hanging out with other youths who are less likely to find trouble than the kids who have all this time on their hands.

You see the kids who burn out. I just as often see kids who thrive under this.

And again, I think those in our profession take an especially dim view of this because of having to deal with youth sports parents at their worst. It's easier for us to mail-slot this as a totally bad thing.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Simply, because it is so physical. I played basketball all through junior high school and high school, and it definitely helped me learn how to compete. But even though "basketball is a contact sport" (favorite saying of one of my coaches), I never stepped on a court in fear.

I played football when I got to high school, and I wasn't a natural at it. Team I played on may have been the worst football team ever, so there was no one who could protect me. I'd always turn where a block should have been waiting, and get blindsided instead.

I could run fast, but I was usually the guy on the field who weighed the least. I got the snot beat out of me in ways I wouldn't have even thought possible, and early on I realized I had two choices: 1) quit or 2) develop some mettle.

It really toughened me up. I still remained about the shittiest split end to ever play football, but it forced me to find something inside of myself. I wasn't going to let it get the best of me. IThe odd thing about it is, even though at times I think I was miserable on the football field, I actually look back on it overall fondly.

3. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

And the same could be said for soccer, unless you ignore the toughness aspect and just pretend it doesn't occur.

Black eyes, bruised ribs, bruises on the thighs, ankles busted up. Spikes in the calf. A hard tackle that takes out the ankles. A slide tackle from beyond (sort of like getting blindsided, except you don't have pads on). I slept with ice packs on my feet a few times and the Mineral Ice was kept in constant supply.

Football works for just as many kids as any other sport. You break it down to coaching and I don't disagree. I just don't see how you can discount one sport and argue that it is less physical than another (however, I would agree that baseball is about the least physical out there).

4. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

It also costs a lot less. Towns can have leagues with 20-30 soccer teams. Most towns can afford to have one football
    team per age group that plays other towns. And that's a good point about not feeling overmatched. You can have a
    completely inferior team lose by 3-4 goals. In football, completely inferior team not only loses by a lot more it ends up
    with a few injuries.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

CONTACT - The first time you see that "flash of light" at point of contact is what separates men from boys.

There is not much that develops more mental toughness in a kid than when he has to make his first "live one on one  contact" tackle.

It may sound corny but its true - Football teaches kids who are knocked down to get back in the race-- much like life.  

6. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I played football and I didn't meet a bunch of bigger sad sacks of slovenly loserdom anywhere other than the football field. I was a running back. I came away more injured playing soccer than I did in a sport where I was done up in pads.

Then there were the days of pick-up games in the park where I didn't wear pads.

Sorry, Boom. But to make the broad claim that football holds some sort of "knock down get back in the race" while other sports don't is so severely narrow-minded that it exposes your entire point of starting this thread.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Crass is right.

If anything, I think someone who plays competitive soccer for the first time -- given its silly foo-foo perception -- would be really shocked how much physical punishment players take. And the mettle Ragu talked about in reference to football, would need to be conjured to play soccer too, especially when you add in the conditioning element.

So does soccer, Boom. So do about 100 other sports.

And I can see where you're going with this, then why do they dive? It's gamesmanship, the same reason wide receivers occasionally dive in the NFL to draw pass interference, or a basketball player pulls a little bit of overacting after some contact in the lane. What's the difference?

I dislike it in all sports, but the copyright on toughness isn't confined to football or any other one sport. Nor is the copyright on flopping like a little bitch to get call. Really, only baseball is immune from that.

8. The Big Ragu

Sorry Crass. Soccer has its merits as a sport. But in terms of contact, hitting and the physical (and mental) toughness it takes to play, it isn't anywhere near same category as football. Not sure how you can argue that soccer is as physical as football with a straight face.

Look at it this way. Soccer is the most popular youth sport because parents feel safe letting their kids play. I once asked Donovan McNabb when he started playing football. He said it was the 7th grade. He wanted to play before then, but his mom was too afraid he'd get hurt. It took him until the 7th grade to wear her down. When was the last time you heard of a parent not letting their kid play soccer because they thought the sport is too rough?

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

It was an annual joke in our high school to see the football players (who apparently turned into men during their first contact drill) go out for our wrestling team... only to quit a week or two later because they couldn't take it. It was too tough.

10. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I would echo that any sport -- any activity -- can teach you toughness. If, say, auditions weren't tough, why is the classical music world suffering with its own performance-enhancing drug scandal? (Google "classical music" and "beta blockers.") Toughness doesn't necessarily get taught by having your face shoved into the ground by some fat guy.

Heck, if you want a sport that teaches you toughness, baseball could definintely apply, because no sport is better at teaching you how to deal with and recover quickly from failure. I say that because in other sports, the action moves fast enough to give you a chance to make up for your mistake, but baseball gives you longer to think about it.

As for soccer, my two oldest (son and daughter) have learned plenty of lessons of toughness in soccer. Given how out of control kids are when they're younger, there are tons of teeth-rattling collisions going on, with no pads. Funny story -- in first grade, my oldest son got knocked down hard for the first time in soccer. My wife was ready to pull a Jeff George's mom to go get him. I was yelling, "Get up!" (He got up. But another kid later in the game did need to be carted off, after he got flipped upside down and landed on his head thanks getting a follow-through to ankles.) If Donovan McNabb's mom had seen some of the action at youth soccer games, she might have never allowed him to play soccer, either.

11. The Big Ragu

Bubbler, we are not talking about World Cup soccer. We are talking about the typical experience for kids playing sports. Typical kid on a soccer field is not clothes-lining every kid who comes in his vicinity. Half the kids don't want to be there. They run away from the ball. Typical kid playing football has made a commitment to play. You either are tough enough or you quit. And a staple of the sport--the object--is to hit your opponent. To overpower him with a block. To beat the snot out of him. There is no comparison.

12. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

On the youth level the amount of injuries is probably about the same.
    A couple years ago when my buddy's kid was playing 5th-6th grade
    football he said that soccer had more injuries.
    But once you get to high school, football is a lot more physical.
    You can easily get knocked out cold with a legal hit in football.
    In soccer you get a yellow card for making contact with a foot
    or leg if the other guy doesn't have the ball.

Draft saved Draft deleted