1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Soccer terminology in stories

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Big Buckin' agate_monkey, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Petrie

Petrie Guest

"Bookings" doesn't come up often. I will, however, use "sent off" if someone is...well...sent off.

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

The trouble we have with this is that I know in high school soccer here, and elsewhere, someone can be sent off for two yellow cards, and yet be replaced on the field so his team doesn't have to play down a man.

One of the many stupid, stupid rules put in place by the NFHS.

3. Petrie

Petrie Guest

True. They're still sent off though...it's just that someone else can come back on :D

I didn't realize they could do that until last week...most players here get their one customary yellow for the game then settle down, so it's usually not a factor.

4. greenlantern

greenlantern Guest

We got a guy that's the same way. Chances are, however, that the only people reading a high school soccer gamer are the few people who actually care about soccer in the first place.

5. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I was at a high school soccer match the other day and I felt sorry for the officials. There was just so much bitching and cheap shots from both teams, they all deserved to be given red cards.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Still, you write for the people who don't.

7. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Normally I'd agree with you, but I got an e-mail from an upset referee assignor yesterday ... so I know at least someone is reading.

8. greenlantern

greenlantern Guest

For soccer refs? Anyway, I wish the guy would dumb it down, but in his head, everyone in the fucking country loves soccer. When editing his stuff, I'd dumb it down myself, but I know little when it comes to soccer.

9. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Yes. Soccer referee assignor.

10. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

I generally don't mention yellow cards at all in prep games, unless a player gets two of them, then I'd say so-and-so was ejected after receiving a second yellow card for whatever the infraction might have been. In the case of a red card, I'd say he or she was automatically ejected after being given a red card for said infraction. I'd avoid the term sent off, because it doesn't necessarily convey to me, the reader, that the player can't come back into the game.

11. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Don't dumb down your stories for the cretins, whether it be soccer, football, synchronized pocket pool or whatever. Don't go out of your way to write over people's heads, but if they can't keep up with the basics of the game then that's their problem.

I'm a firm believer in writing for the readers, but I'm also a firm believer in not bastardizing the sport for slow learners. I was covering a soccer match the other day and listening in on a conversation between to parents. The guy that was "in the know" was telling another guy something that was completely 180 degrees off from the truth. I just shook my head.

12. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I've covered more prep soccer than any other sport save football and basketball. I've never used the word "booked" in any story. Is there anything wrong with just saying, "Podunk Southwest was issued four yellow cards and a red card."

Draft saved Draft deleted