1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Soccer terminology in stories

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Big Buckin' agate_monkey, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Off the cagers, spikers, thinclads, etc. thread ...

I'm looking for thoughts on the appropriateness of using "bookings" in a high school soccer gamer. The last four games I've cover have had at least one yellow card, a couple have had two reds and two yellows. Seems I could tighten up copy by saying "four bookings" early then explain later with "two reds and two yellows."

My hesitation is that the common reader likely doesn't know the term "bookings," and since my readership is likely non-traditional soccer people it seems somewhat inappropriate.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The Marauders were booked for two yellow cards.
  3. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Yep. Have no problem using it as a verb. Otherwise, K.I.S.S.
  4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

How about:

The refs were acting like traffic lights at a busy intersection, flashing yellows and reds and the Marauders last night ...
  5. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Then why not just say "given two yellow cards" or "issued two yellow cards"?

I think with that question, I'm answering my own question by learning toward not using it.
  6. Songbird

Well, refs have that little black book from which they pull the red or yellow as well as scribble the perp of said cards.
  7. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

hmm ... most of our refs just write on their cards, but that is a good point.
  8. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I think it's probably better to use yellow and red cards, rather than saying someone was booked for a reckless challenge or dissent.

You want to make sure you're being clear, even if it means cutting back on the more traditional terminology.
  9. Songbird

Good point, GB, but what if we as journalists start incorporating more traditional language into stories as a teaching tool. If we want to become a soccer country we have to start appreciating its language. Gotta start somewhere.
  10. ltrain1127

ltrain1127 Member

Who says we WANT to become a soccer country?
  11. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

but is it your job as a reporter to serve as an advocate for the sport?
  12. Songbird

Advocate, shmadvocate. Nothing wrong with inserting basic terminology. No one's head will explode by saying, "The Marauders were booked for three yellow cards."
Draft saved Draft deleted