1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Soccer Shenanigans - Affair derailed 1998 team

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Feb 3, 2010.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

This may be on the soccer thread already, I thought it deserved its own discussion:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/02/02/AR2010020203227.html

Wow. Soccer diehards may have been clued in on this. I had no idea.

2. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

For some reason, I thought this was old news and common knowledge. I was an intern for the Kansas City Wizards from 1997-1999. During one game, a group of Wizards fans were chanting, "Hey! Harkes! Why aren't you in France?" So I walked over to the group and asked a guy why they were chanting that. He said, "Harkes knows what he did." I asked again, and he said, "He nailed Eric Wynalda's wife."

After the game, back in the pressbox, I mentioned what the guy said to a couple other guys who did stats. They said they knew already and acted like everyone knew.

From that day, I always wished Wynalda would have kicked Harkes' ass.

Also, didn't the 1982 French team have something similar happen? A player was kicked off for banging Madame Platini?

3. derwood

derwood Active Member

Common knowledge within US soccer community. Yes on Madame Platini.

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

As Grant Wahl noted on his twitter feed last night, nice job of photo selection by SI.com.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/soccer/02/02/harkes.wynalda.ap/index.html

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Soccer is officially a real sport.

6. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

What a relief seeing Sampson unburden himself and state once again in no uncertain terms 12 years later, "See? It wasn't my coaching."

7. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I know Man United got Cantona on the cheap from Leeds just after they won the title because Eric the King was making the Leeds' chairman's (or somebody high up's) wife his queen.

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

See, there is scoring in soccer. ;D

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Wynalda has denied this publicly and privately. Harkes wrote a book called "Captain For Life and Other Temporary Assignments" in which this explanation somehow eluded mention. Yet another one to keep in mind when you're writing a story saying so-and-so denies what he's being accused of.

Now, since the Saints are in the Super Bowl, I think it's high time we find out if Joe Horn really is the father of Willie Roaf's baby.

10. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Jason Kidd, Jim Jackson and Toni Braxton have no comment.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Didn't he confirm it in the article? Wynalda, I mean. I'll have go to back and reread

12. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Uh, huh. ;)

This also explains Sampson's 3-6-1 formation and playing Mike frickin' Burns on the right side of midfield instead of Hejduk (who almost scored).

I'm also sure team chemistry wasn't hurt when Sampson brought in those "Americans" playing in Germany at the last minute and dumped a couple of longtime US players just before the Cup.

Damn you John Harkes!

Draft saved Draft deleted