1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Soccer scorebox question - URGENT HELP!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rhody31, Oct 28, 2009.

1. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

In high school, a game decided in a shootout is not a tie. Thus if Bumblefuck beats John A Doe High 3-2 in the shootout after a 1-1 game, the score is recorded as a 2-1 win for Bumblefuck.

Bumblefuck 2, John A Doe 1, OT, PKs

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Here, and this may not be the case everywhere, schools do get to credit themselves with a tie if they lose a shootout in a regular season or district tournament. The side that wins, of course, does get credit for the win. Is that the way it works in your area King?

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

In my book, it would be:

Bumblefuck 3
    Nowhere 3
    Bumblefuck won 4-3 on penalties

But if your H.S. association actually awards an extra goal -- and obviously you'd have to know that -- then:

Bumblefuck 4
    Nowhere 3 (OT/PKs)

or

Bumblefuck 4
    Nowhere 3 (4-3 PKs)

would probably work.

In the international game, games decided by shootouts are *officially* ties. The shootout just determines who advances to the next round.

4. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Yes, it should be:
    Bumblefuck 3, Nowhere 3 (Bumblefuck wins on penalty kicks, 5-3, or whatever the PK shootout score was).

5. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

No not here. Seems odd. So a there can be a winner and a ... tier, but no loser?

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Fuck that. Sometimes it's our job to correct readers' ignorance.

Rhody: You could post a question to @APStylebook on Twitter.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Just put something in parenthesis that such-and-such team wins shootout 4-3.

8. lmcmillan33

lmcmillan33 Member

The Ohio High School Athletic Association records it as a 2-1 win or 3-2 or whatever for the shootout winner. That's officially what goes in the record books.

Shooouts only exist in the postseason. As a matter of fact, overtime only exists in the postseason. Otherwise, matches end in ties.

9. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I've said my piece about it before at my shop, but sometimes for sanity's sake it's easier to just let it slide. because it's not a fight worth waging.

10. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

In Indiana, our local conference plays shootouts in regular-season conference games (no OT beforehand, either). Both they and the IHSAA give the "phantom" goal to the shootout winner, so it would be Podunk 2, Bumblyburg 1 (SO)

How I usually drew up the box was
    P-Shanker (Leadfoot), 27:49
    B-A. Twinkletoes (B. Twinkletoes), 73:02
    Shootout goals: P (4-4)-Shanker, Leadfoot, A. Cannon, Limpus. B (2-4)-A. Twinkletoes, B. Twinketoes.

11. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

If your paper doesn't have a style, establish it and go forward. But you might want to consult with the state preps association to see how they handle it in their record books.

12. The National High School Federation allows individual state athletic associations to set their own overtime rules.

In Texas it's up to the individual conference coaches to set their tiebreaker format. Some leave a tie as a tie. Some go directly to a shootout (35 yrd runup, not penalty kicks). Some go to to 10-minute halves of overtime (and it's not double-overtime, stop calling it that, dammit!), and if it's still tied, it's a tie. Others use OT and then the shootout. It's all up to the coaches.

And it's possible for boys and girls in the same conference to have different tiebreaker rules. Because it's different coaches.

That being said, if they have a tiebreaker format in Texas, the shootout winner is officially credited with one goal, so the final score is 4-3 (if they were tied 3-3 after regulation). It counts as a W and an L, no T's.

Also, overtime is not sudden death. I've seen OT games where the winning team won 3-1. It's actually a pretty common occurrence, because once a team falls behind, it has to push up a lot to equalize, leaving itself open for counterattack.

Draft saved Draft deleted