1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Soccer scorebox question - URGENT HELP!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rhody31, Oct 28, 2009.

1. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Just thought of this while I was laying it out ... how would a scorebox look in a shootout?
    My game was 3-3 after OT, the home team won in the shootout 4-3.
    Would it be
    Away 6
    Home 8

or does the shootout win only count once?
    Away 3
    Home 4

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Shoot, I don't have the stylebook in front of me. It's definitely not 8-6.

I'm thinking 3-3 (4-3) SO, or something like that.

3. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

In hockey it counts as just one -- so "4-3 (SO)" would be correct.

I'm not much of a soccer follower (gasp!) but I think I've seen it the same way. A quick AP search of some soccer agate might answer your question better though.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Goals in a PK shootout don't count in the final score, nor are they part of the players' individual stats.

Normally, it would be "Home 3, Visitor 3 (Home wins on penalty kicks 4-3)" or similar.

5. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

It's a 3-3 tie, and you'd just have to find a way in the scorebox to note that the home team won in a shootout. It's not like hockey, where the shootout winner is awarded an extra, nonexistent "goal."

6. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

Come to think of it, this sounds right. In the box you can do something like this to indicate where the shootout goals wre scored:

visiting team -- x 1 x 1 1 --3
    home team -- 1 1 x 1 1 --4

7. Rhody31

It's a front page scorebox thing. I don't know the proper term for it.
    Right now it says (picture it agate type, in a pretty gold-faded, half-column box)

Division I
    Boys Soccer
    Quarterfinals
    Bumblefuck 4
    Nowhere 3

Should it be 3-3?

8. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

Again, not really sure. Do you have access to the wire? I bet if you searched for some soccer agate on the AP wire you could find a box score of a game that went to a shootout and see how they did it.

9. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

The way we do it is to give credit for an extra goal for the shootout winner.

So our box score would read

Crescent City 4, Moonville 3

Crescent City 2 1 0 0 1 -- 4
    Moonville 1 2 0 0 0 -- 3

Crescent City won shootout 4-3

That's assuming your association plays two overtimes as ours does.

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I'm almost positive that it should be 3-3, not 4-3. Soccer does not award a phantom goal for winning the shootout the way hockey does.

(That said, doesn't *anyone* have a stylebook near them?)

11. Rhody31

It's not so much for the story. I know the score should be 3-3 and shootout win, but on my scorebox on the front page that's in the body of the story, I feel like it would look weird if it says 3-3.

12. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

You are correct, Rick. That is the way it is *supposed* to be done. But in the U.S. many newspapers, including my own, eschew that so as to not cause confusion with people who wouldn't actually know the proper style.

Draft saved Draft deleted