1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Soccer question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by greenlantern, Mar 29, 2009.

1. greenlantern

greenlantern Guest

So I just took a youth soccer score where the two teams were tied 0-0 and on team won 3-2 on penalty kicks. What is the proper way to write that final score for the agate page?

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Manchester United 0, Arsenal 0; Manchester United wins 3-2 on PKs

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

penalty kick shootout in youth soccer? Why?

4. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Good question.

5. greenlantern

greenlantern Guest

Championship game of some tournament

6. What he said. And not a bad coup, getting Man U and Arsenal to play in your youth tournament. :D

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Technically, I think, Man U. didn't win on PKs. The game goes in the books as a tie. ManU wins PK shootout 3-2

I could be wrong.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/tables?league=eng.1&&cc=5901

No ties, but a draw?

9. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

From my experience with tournaments of this kind, both in high school and club soccer, the team that wins does get to add the win to their regular season total, if that applies.

The team that loses the shootout counts it as a tie. Hence I've seen an undefeated high school team enter a holiday tournament undefeated, and leave the same way because they lost in a shootout in the final.

10. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

That's not the case in my state. Teams here play shootouts in district games, because that determines qualification and seeding for the playoffs, so there has to be a winner and a loser. In non-district games, including regular-season tournaments, it's up to a coaches' agreement before the game as to whether they play until there is a winner or simply accept a draw after regulation.

11. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

You see here we play three points for a win, one for a draw, none for a loss, and determine seedings that way. Had a team go undefeated, three wins, four draws, no losses, and it got the fourth seed in the district.

No regular season shootouts unless it's in a tournament.

12. In Texas, districts decide how they will break ties in regular-season district matches: let it stand as a tie, overtime and a shootout (if necessary), or straight to shootout. (FYI, it's the 35-yard shootout play that the MLS used to use, not PKs.) And it counts as a win or a loss.

Regular-season non-district matches that end in ties get counted as ties -- unless it's for advancement in a tournament. Then it's according to the tournament's rules.

Draft saved Draft deleted