1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Soccer question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by bigpern23, Nov 7, 2006.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Own goal.

I've seen a flip throw a couple of times in matches, but never in a match I've staffed.

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

OK, I give. I know zero about soccer and couldn't care less, really, but I've got to know exactly how such a throw-in creates an advantage.

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Because you can throw it a lot farther than you could a regular throw-in. A quality flip-throw is just as effective as a corner.

4. jay_christley

jay_christley Member

How is the throw-in player not on the offense? Team that has the ball has the possession, thus is on the offense.
    A throw-in can be construed as a "pass" -- as is an indirect kick -- so C would call it a shot and a goal for the offensive player.
    I'm certainly not an expert on this, but I see no logic, considering the NCAA's scoring definitions on how it would be considered an own goal. [Of course, if anybody can find a FIFA official ruling or otherwise, I'd love to know how they would score it.]

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Because a player CANNOT score directly on a throw-in. A player can score on an indirect kick. Since the player could not have legally scored a goal were it not for either the defense or a teammate, you cannot credit that player with a goal.

6. jay_christley

jay_christley Member

According to the NCAA statistical definitions of an assists:
    "d. A corner kick, throw-in or free kick leading to a goal each counts as a pass in awarding assists."

So it's clearly defined as a pass. Therefore, a player "whose pass is mishandled by the goalkeeper and allowed to cross into the goal shall receive credit for a shot and a goal, provided the momentum of the shot carried the ball into the goal."

I'm not trying to be difficult.
    I cannot find any definitions from FIFA on how to score the play.

GoodDoctor is right, "a player CANNOT score directly on a throw-in."
    But a player can't score off an indirect without the same rules applying (ie. the ball touching another player on the field.)

7. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

i'm leaning toward the doctor and buck

and funny, the soccer team i covered where the chick did the flip throw-in was no. 22 as well

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I called the coach to get a ruling and he said it is scored for the player throwing the ball in, not an own goal. For whatever that's worth.

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

It sounds like the coach is sticking up for his/her own player. Admirable, but IIRC, a throw-in is similar to an indirect kick in that it must be touched by someone else before it can be considered a goal.

10. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

Can't they just follow hockey's rule where you report a goal went in off a defender, but credit it to the last player on the other team who touched it? Seems a lot easier.

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

That is the rule, and the coach noted that, but gave a similar explanation to what Jay Christley said, saying because the ball went into the goal of its own momentum -- and wasn't directed into the goal by the defensive player (in this case the goalie) -- that the thrower gets the credit.

And it wasn't his player that threw the ball in. She was on the other team.

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

That just doesn't seem right, if the thrower can't actually score on an untouched throw.

Draft saved Draft deleted