1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Soccer question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by bigpern23, Nov 7, 2006.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Yes, I know, no one thinks we should even be covering soccer. That said, an interesting situation arose last night and I'm not sure how to score it.

Player A executes a flip throw from the sideline near the corner (planting the ball on the ground, somersaulting over it and catapulting it into the field of play) and throws it into the 6-yard box. There, the goalie tries to leap up and grab it but it tips off the keeper's glove into the goal for a score.

Now the question is this: Is this considered an own-goal, or does the thrower get credit? Had the goalie not touched the ball and it went in, it would not have been considered a goal. However, once the goalie touches it, it becomes live and is therefore a goal.

My first instinct is that the thrower gets the credit, just like if someone takes an indirect kick and it deflects off the defense into the goal, the kicker gets credit. But if anyone knows for sure, it would be helpful.

2. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I believe this ends up being an own goal. I was always under the impression that if a deflection was made or even touched the opposing team in any way, it was an own goal.

The situation you describe actually sounds pretty impressive.

3. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

You don't say "1-to-nothing," you say "1-nil."

4. Own goal -- next

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

In this situation, it is an own goal. The keeper's touch redirected the ball into the net.

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I abso-fucking-lutely LOVE the flip throw. It injects a scoring opportunity into a situation where normally there is none. And with so many kids spending 5-7 years in club ball prior to high school, I've always been puzzled as to why more of them haven't developed this talent.

7. It's definitely an own goal. Your instincts were right. Had the keeper not touched the ball and it went in, it would have been a goal kick because a goal can't be scored directly on a throw-in.

8. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

A college team I once covered had a girl that could flip throw from about midfield and put the ball right into the box. She was a monster that way. Created scoring opportunities like crazy. She could throw that thing 40-50 yards.

She couldn't do anything else, though, especially not run with any speed at all. So her playing time was limited. but when the coach was up a goal or two and wanted to scare the other team, he'd put her in and have the team create some throw in situations. The corwd absolutely loved her and couldn't figure out why she didn't play more.

9. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Because you've got to have the gymnastic abilities as well as the soccer abilities. Even the most athletic of kids can't always do a backflip or handstand or whatever. I sure wish I could have...

I love the flip throw, too. More than I love the jump serve in volleyball.

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Good call, Cadet. In fact, this player is a former gymnast.

It definitely livened the game up. Every time she took a throw, there was a chance her team would score.

11. jay_christley

jay_christley Member

I would credit the person taking the throw in.

According to NCAA rules on scoring ...
    a. When a defender kicks or heads the ball into his or her team’s goal with the intent of making a pass back to a teammate or of clearing the ball
    out of danger, the goal is not credited to an individual, but is recorded as an “own goal.’’
    b. An offensive player whose shot is deflected into the goal by the goalkeeper or a defender receives credit for the goal, provided the momentum
    of the shot carried the ball into the goal.
    c. An offensive player whose pass is deflected into the goal by a defender or whose pass is mishandled by the goalkeeper and allowed to cross
    into the goal shall receive credit for a shot and a goal, provided the momentum of the shot carried the ball into the goal.

A does not fit.
    Although a throw-in or indirect is not addressed specifically, C is closest.

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Flip throws make for great photo ops, too.

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted