1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Soccer question....

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Doom and gloom, Jul 5, 2006.

1. Doom and gloom

Doom and gloom Active Member

The song they have played after both semifinals sounds like the tune of a Christian hymn, "Give Thanks". Like "Ode to Joy/Joyful Joyful We Adore Thee" they are mutually interchangeable. But what is the song they are playing?

2. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/posts/738158/

3. Doom and gloom

Doom and gloom Active Member

That wasn't it. I checked it on napster.

75 looks, 1 answer? Just shows how many churchgoers there are!

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Probably some crap made by Queen in the 80s when they started to puss out and get all orchestral. That's one thing I'm thankful that America lost touch with which the rest of the world adores.

Seriously, I have no idea.

5. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

It's been bugging me, too. It sounds like a mix between the German and Russian national anthems. I really don't think it's the one y'all are talking about on that CD, unless the Amazon snippet isn't indicative of the rest of it.

6. KP

KP Active Member

Tex, seriously, after the tournament Frank just had, how can you use him as your sig?

7. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

He's still my guy, and if he's even on the list of big-time chokers at this World Cup, he's waaaaaaay the fuck down there. It's definitely not all his fault that the squad couldn't organize for more than a few minutes a week.

8. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

They played some sort of World Cup anthem at the game I attended. Perhaps that's what you're hearing. It definitely is not Beethoven's Joy piece.

9. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Are you talking about the song played immediately after the final whistle? I don't know what the medley is, but it's a staple of soccer supporters throughout the world -- even the U.S. One lyric that often goes with it is "Three points for the U.S.A. (or other team)" following a victory. On the other hand, I've also heard the tune used to taunt the opposing team: "You're crap, and you know you are." Sometimes, a substitute for "crap" is used. :)

At the World Cup, the prerecorded song has the lyrics, "Stand up for the champions, stand up for the champions," sung in a really over-the-top style, apparently by some Andrea Bocelli wannabe.

Anyway, the music of international soccer games is pretty bizarre. Some of the most enduring tunes used for supporters' songs/chants are showtunes -- "We Love You, Conrad" from Bye, Bye Birdie, the title track from Jesus Christ Superstar, Liverpool's anthem "You'll Never Walk Alone" from Carousel (which became a pop song when Liverpudlians Gerry and the Pacemakers covered it). Then we have the disco. At virtually every match I saw at the World Cup, they played "I Will Survive," and when Gloria Gaynor stopped singing, the fans took over, belting out some unintelligible chorus over the instrumental portion of the song.

Like I said, pretty bizarre.

10. FCE

FCE Member

The song is Go West. Originally done by the Village People, covered by the Pet Shop Boys

---------------------------------------------------------------

The tune of "Go West" has been adopted by football fans of some countries, including England, for various football chants, such as the Arsenal supporters' chant "One-nil to the Arsenal". An orchestral version of the song was adopted by FIFA as the official theme of the 2006 FIFA World Cup. Entitled "Stand Up! (Champions Theme)", it was played inside stadiums after every match of the tournament and is sung by Patrizio Buanne.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Go_West_(song)

-------------------------------------------------------------------

listen to a sample here: http://audio.hitparade.ch/goleo_vi-stand_up_(champions_theme).wma

11. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

Wow. That is awful.

12. Jack_Kerouac

Jack_Kerouac Member

One of those things that was good from far, but far from good, Buck. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted