1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Soccer & other sports terminology

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Michael Echan, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Michael Echan

Michael Echan Member

I'm doing a soccer write-up about a game decided by penalty kicks. Everyone that I talked to used the term "peekays/p-kays/pee-kays." Is it permissible ever to use that term after the first reference, or is it too jargony?

Going along that same vein, when is it all right to use game jargon, like "ribbie" for RBI or "trey" for a three-point shot? Obviously, only after the first reference -- if at all -- but I'd just like to find out for future situations.

2. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Never use jargon especially plated, trey, ribbie/ribeye, etc.

3. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

I would never use any of the aforementioned jargon in a story, with the possible exception of using it within a quote (and even then, no way am I putting "ribbies" in my story). For the record, if I were to use the jargon for penalty kicks in a quote, I would go with PKs.

4. spud

spud Member

The basketball beat writer for the city daily where I went to college always used treys in place of 3-pointers. To this day I'll stop reading if I see that word and just get my news elsewhere.

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

First, I'd say PKs if you're going to use it in a quote. But I'd never use it in copy, use shootout or penalty shootout.

6. Peekays?

And we wonder why newspapers are in trouble.

7. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

What if the game's in Peking?

8. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

Or Pekin, Ill. Former home of the Chinks.

As for the question, I would just use penalty kicks, since they are abbreviating it to PKs. If you use it in a quote make sure you already have said penalty kicks or use (penalty kicks) where they say "PKs".

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Penalty kicks, indeed.

10. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Can dargan use jargon?

Anyway, only refer to the goal as the "onion bag."

11. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

The way I dealt with it: penalty kicks on first reference. If the first reference is to a penalty kick and they call it a PK, use penalty kick in parenthesis. Once you've used it on first reference, anyone reading the story will most likely be able to deduce what a PK is, but only use it in a quote.

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

When I was writing AP college basketball briefs last year, the editor said that do not use "trey". That was the only jargon he mentioned to avoid.

Draft saved Draft deleted