1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Soccer is un-American and Old World: the case against ESPN showing soccer

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by rondembo, Mar 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rondembo

rondembo New Member

Anyone else mad that ESPN keeps advertising soccer world cup and is putting soccer scores on the bottom ticker during our NBA games? Even worse are the commercials for freaking british soccer, who cares about manchester soccer team? This is America, we have superior and real sports that provide non-stop action and excitement, not irrelevant skinny white guys kicking a ball around for 4 hours.

Keep soccer off my TV and where it belongs (among the 5 year old children who haven't reached coordination or self-consciousness to realize soccer sucks, third world poor and eurogeeks who are too weak to play basketball, baseball or football).

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    SportsJournalists.com's soccer fans don't take kindly to people bashing their sport, Rondembo.

And for a serious answer to your question, it's the World Freakin' Cup. It's like the Olympics, in that lots of people will watch because it's a top-level international competition (and one the U.S. might do well in, to boot), not necessarily because they're a fan of the sport.
    Showing Premier League and UEFA games is a way to generate interest in said sport, as well as make a little coin for ESPN. It's similar to how some networks will show NFL games in the UK or Germany, or why the NBA plays games in Europe or MLB in Japan and Mexico.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

In reading that, the least the guy could do is actually understand the origin of 'American football' has far more to do with the sport of rugby than 'european football' ever did.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Was that stolen from Jennalaine.com?

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Keep rondumbo off my screen and where he belongs (in the playpen with the other children who have yet to develop motor function or coherent thought).

8. rondembo

rondembo New Member

world cup soccer is a "top-level international competition"? Not really, it doesn't feature any famous athletes or anybody that has any importance in mainstream culture, its not even close to the Olympics since Micheal Phelps, Usain Bolt..etc are all household names but nobody I know could name you a single soccer player not named Beckham.

9. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

Ugh. This guy again?

Get a freakin' life, dude.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I think people around here know how much I loathe soccer - primarily because of the pompous windbags who look down at anyone who does not absolutely love their sport - but the World Cup is such a huge event that it almost demands that you watch whether you appreciate the sport or not.

That said, the NHL should be on ESPN before a West Ham-Wolverhampton game or, God forbid, the fucking MLS.

ESPN doesn't show minor league baseball, I don't know why they feel the need to show minor league domestic soccer.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Dude, that's just fucking ignorant.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

So you hang out with ignorant idiots. And?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.