1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Soccer Feature

Discussion in 'Writers' Workshop' started by KevinmH9, Nov 22, 2007.

1. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Hey everyone! I'm going to take advantage of this awesome opportunity and see how one of my feature stories matches up with the pros. Thanks!

http://media.www.theclockonline.com/media/storage/paper569/news/2007/11/16/Sports/Psu-Mens.Soccer.Coming.Off.Of.A.Dissapointing.Season-3105706.shtml

2. txscoop

txscoop Member

I'm not a pro, but here are some tips. Never use second person. And also, I think you took too long to introduce a source and use a quote.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It needs some major copy editing. Misplaced commas, use said instead of commented, coach instead of head coach (unless you need to differentiate between a head coach and an assistant), plus some awkward phrases.

Produced havoc doesn't make sense (wreaking havoc would be better)

4. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

All of the above.

Then there's that "dissapointing" headline, but that's for another thread on another board.

5. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Awesome. Thanks for the comments. I'll be sure to look out for this stuff in the future.

I haven't written many feature stories as I'd like for the sport section. I'll hope to get some great experience in the future.

Draft saved Draft deleted