1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Soccer coach fired for swearing

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Oct 21, 2007.

1. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Why is it necessary to swear to get your point across when coaching kids?

2. Stretch15

Stretch15 Member

Swearing only proves one thing - that you aren't intelligent enough to figure out how to express yourself without using words that are considered crude or offensive.

I find it interesting that these coaches who curse like sailors are also educators. Would they stand for that type of language in their classrooms? I think not.

So why should the students put up with that language on the playing field? It it OK to curse simply because they are in an athletic environment?

It is unnecessary and uncalled for. And it is a sad commentary on our society when individuals are labeled as soft, wussies or thin-skinned because they express their objections to inappropriate language.

3. Stretch15

Stretch15 Member

Well played Mr. Weaver ;D

4. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

He's a wuss because people say things that are offensive all the time and unfortunately in the real world you don't get to quit and whine about it.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I was about to dive into a long explanation about how ridiculous it is when people say that profanity is only used by those who are not intelligent enough to express themselves without it.

I was going to explain that people with such attitudes are closed-minded and unable to grasp that our irrational fear of some words is beyond ridiculous. The bad language that actually means something, such as religious references, is a lot easier to get away with than words like shit or fuck.

I was going to ask if somebody could please explain to me exactly what is wrong with the word fuck, other than somebody decided it was bad a long time ago, in a time when our culture was unable to handle discussions about sex. We've gotten over our fear of the topic, but not that word.

But honestly, buckweaver's response was better.

Ok...I couldn't help myself. Restraint isn't always my best thing. :)

6. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Which coach is more likely to get the desired response:
    A coach who says in a calm voice "Jimmy, if you don't mind, could you please do a better job boxing out and grabbing those rebounds?"
    Or a coach who gets 2 inches from the kid's face and screams "Hey, you big fucking pussy, if you want to stay on this fucking team, you'd better get your fucking ass in front of your fucking man and fucking box out! If you don't start fucking rebounding right fucking now, I'll sit your fucking lazy shit-for-brains ass on the fucking bench for the rest of the fucking season! Do I make myself fucking clear!"

7. I've gotten in more trouble for the "god damnit!" outbursts than a nice, crisp "fuck!" But folks take their religion seriously around my neck of the woods.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Now that I understand. I try not to even say "Jesus Christ" in that way, though I'm not a Christian. But I understand why using it as a curse would be offensive. I had a friend in college who would correct people about that. She would very firmly say, "Don't you take my lord's name in vain."

Looking back, it was actually pretty annoying, but she was hot enough that I was fine listening to whatever she had to say at the time. :)

Then I thought about it and realized she had a point. She wouldn't say a word if one of us said fuck or shit or any words like that. It was the religious references that she found troubling.

But as I wrote earlier, it's not the guy's use of "fuck" that bothers me. It is the context.

9. Smallpotatoes

I think there's actually a rule in tennis that a player can say "Jesus" or "Christ" without being penalized, but they can't say "Jesus Christ."
    I remember reading about a kid in Tennessee who was disqualified for that about six or seven years ago.

10. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

You tryin' ta say Jesus Christ can't hit a tennis ball?

11. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

What about Jesus H. Christ?

12. Smallpotatoes

Don't know. You'd probably have to ask the USTA.

Draft saved Draft deleted