1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Soccer coach fired for swearing

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Oct 21, 2007.

1. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Guy should be suspended for the season, and not lose any jobs.

He really did cross the line, but this is sending a bad message to the kids. People make mistakes in life, but rarely are they that bad that they're unforgivable. He deserved to be punished but not this severely.

2. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

I'm not sure I agree with all of that, Bob. Certainly if a teacher swore like a sailor on a regular basis, he'd be out on his ass. But the occasional profanity from a high school teacher wouldn't necessarily cause a huge uproar. In most cases, the students probably wouldn't even bother mentioning it to their parents. In this case, that was pretty disturbing imagery the coach conjured up, and I could see him being suspended for the season, but for a first offense, firing is way too harsh.

Also, it's interesting that the guy was fired from his coaching jobs but allowed to remain as a social studies teacher.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

joe, it may just be easier to fire him from the coaching job. Those are, in most cases, supplemental contracts. The local teacher's union isn't involved.

The title to this thread was definitely off. This wasn't about the profanity. This was a matter of making sexual references to the players' mothers. I think firing may have been a bit much, but you have to wonder if there are other issues with the guy. You never know what political bullshit is going on with a high school coach.

I remember a coach was fired at one of my former stops for cursing at his players, but the administration had already been looking for an excuse because they didn't like his priorities (basketball first, well ahead of academics).

I'm not sure how much I want to kill the kid over this, either. The comment was offensive and he stood up to the coach the best way he could think of at the time. What should he have done, gotten into a screaming match with the coach or hit him? Honestly, I'd have played the game and addressed it later, but this is a teenager and his coach is talking about fucking the kid's mother.

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I had a teacher in high school who melted down on occasion and used some salty language.

He once caught a kid eating in homeroom and threatened to "shove that fucking muffin down your fucking throat."

Catholic school teacher, too.

5. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Lost in all this is whether or not an opponent having sex with your mother would lead to your performing better on the field. I think absolutely yes!

6. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Depends.

If she starfishes it, then it's not as big a motivator.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Hell, Little League was where I learned to swear.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

My rule was always that I cursed some times, but not at a player. Criticize the play, not the person.

I admit, some people don't see much of a difference between:

1. You guys are playing like a bunch of useless motherfuckers

And

2. You guys are a useless bunch of motherfuckers

But I always did.

Where that fits in here? I tend to think IJAG's right. Involving kids moms is always touchy.

9. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

I agree with the call.

That's over the line.

Way over.

10. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

I think it depends if it's boots-style or not.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Sometimes private school teachers are the the worst in terms of behavior like that. There is no school board for the administration to answer to and Catholic schools in particular often have a lower pay scale, making it harder to get and keep good teachers.

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

We loved Sully. It was just funny how he could go from 0 to 60 in .0263 seconds.

Draft saved Draft deleted