1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Soccer coach fired for swearing

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Oct 21, 2007.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

This is probably a DB, but oh well...
    http://www.concordmonitor.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071016/FRONTPAGE/710160376

Is it another example of how soft we've become?
    If a kid can't take getting sworn at, do you think maybe competitive athletics might not be for him?

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

What a bunch of bullshit. My little league coaches used to swear all the time. I'm not saying it's right, but it didn't have an adverse affect on us. He was trying to pump his players up, and the school board and Grass totally overreacted. My guess is the player who had an issue with the coach's language had an ax to grind.

It's just another instance of the greater pussification of America.

3. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

My high school and legion baseball coaches used every word in the book on me and most of my teammates.

None of us gave a shit about it, since we used it on them, too. Especially the cocksucker who coached our JV team.

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

It might have been stupid thing to say. But to lose three jobs over that petty, little line is a bunch of shit.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Agreed.

And my Legion ball coach used just enough profanity for it to mean something when he did. Still sent a chill down my spine, when I went to cover his team about five years later.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

When I first saw the post, I wanted to call the move a complete crock.

When I read the story - and how the words were used - I backed off in a hurry.

I'm not against swearing ... I do plenty of it in real life. But the way in which the coach used the language was too borderline for me to say it was completely and utterly unfair. That is, saying the word - or just about any other word - in frustration is one thing. But combining it with fornicating with someone's mother is dumb.

Let the flames begin ... I know this won't be a popular point of view.

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Yeah. Which high school ballplayer -- I can only speak for baseball because that's all I played -- wasn't on the bench between innings, talking about sex or calling his teammates motherfuckers.

I can't Imagine playing a baseball game without my coaches telling someone to get their ass on or off the field.

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

No, I think that's a valid point. But it's just the district, parents and the one players being a little oversensitive, in my opinion. Times have changed, and that sucks.

9. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Nothing wrong with that point of view -- if there wasn't something wrong with it in some way, the guy wouldn't be fired.

My point wasn't that it was right for the guy to say. I just wouldn't have done more than rolled my eyes at the guy for saying it. If he wants to come off like a moron, like so many of my coaches did, he's welcome to do so.

10. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Suspend the coach, put an official reprimand in his file, and be done with it.

And the kid who wouldn't take the field for the second half because he was so offended? Good luck to him when he gets out into the working world and hears 10 times worse language from his boss.

11. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Guy should be fired for stupidity.

"I'm going to your house to F_ck your mother"?

What the hell is that all about?

The bottom line - dude should have been reprimanded because he is supposed to know better and could have come up with a better way to say what he was trying to say, but he shouldn't be fired for it.

That being said, the kid who whined about it is a total wuss. My god, I have said it before, we've become a nation of a bunch of big babies.

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

No. It'll be OK. His dad will be there to fight his battles every step of the way.

Draft saved Draft deleted