1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Soccer Apoligists United *NSFW*

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Here they are - all on one thread.

2. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Re: NHL vs MLS on TV

No fans going after refs in that MLS game.

3. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

It is funny that you mention this Boom. Did you know that ESPN MLS Soccer Thursdays are getting better ratings than the NHL on NBC? Did you know that before (and after) the NHL lockout the MetroStars (now known as Red Bull New York) earned better ratings on MSG and FSN NY than the New Jersey Devils and the New York Islanders?

Now, it is all fine and dandy that you don't like the sport and may even find it too slow for you taste. Hey, not everyone likes everything. But for you to somehow pull out of your ass that soccer won't succeed because you view it as slower is rather funny. It becomes even funnier when the factual numbers of ratings come into play.

I won't comment on the actual game itself (it is very possible that it was a bad game). I have not seen it yet. I was out that night have the game sitting in my DVR.

I will state that the game was played in Kansas City in an NFL sized stadium. Such a thing skews the attendance viewing as many seats are not up for sale.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Not calling you a liar or anything, Pastor, but do you have a link to back up those facts?

5. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Not to mention where comparing attendances to a regular season soccer match between two teams with no meaningful history to a Stanly Cup Finals hockey game.

6. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Not the Finals, as they haven't been played yet on NBC, the Playoffs. This is a comparison of the NHL on NBC vs. MLS on ESPN. I'll work on getting that link. The information is more than a week old.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Speed determines success?

Baseball is doomed.

8. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

I'll take the NHL every single time.

But as long as they stay on Versus, the NHL is screwed. Every major sports league needs ESPN.

9. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

It's part of the reason why baseball flourished post-'94 and especially once '98 came. Tons of homers being hit. It's why owners, management, officials turned their heads at steriods. Fans would much rather see an 11-10 game than a 1-0 game.

10. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

So you don't want to know the score then?

11. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

It's all a matter of preference. If somebody wants to watch soccer, that's fine. Personally, I'm not into soccer but love hockey.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Word had it though that the Red Bulls and KC did not like each other. It was something to do with the coaches from previous season.

Draft saved Draft deleted