1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SoCal's Carmageddon

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Jun 20, 2011.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Saw that this morning and also saw that people went crazy over it. I don't know how much money this is costing JetBlue, but what great marketing.

3. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Yea, brain fart. Only time they go up the 405 is to LAX, but they're still south.

4. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

Cash penalties like that are quite common in construction (my dad has an industrial construction biz). I've only seen penalties by the day, but I can see why they'd do it by every 10 minutes. It also works the other way, that is, the contractor can trigger a cash bonus for getting stuff done ahead of schedule.

5. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

This one is really funny.

My daughter is going to soccer camp Sunday. Fortunately, it's north on the 101 in Camarillo, so we won't be going anywhere near this.

The Galaxy is playing Real Madrid at the Coliseum Saturday night. They drew 91,000 for this friendly at the Rose Bowl last year. As of Wednesday, they've sold only 40,000 and change tickets.

Plus, one of the traffic reporters on all-news KNX-AM said she's being besieged with requests for "secret" routes around the mess, since everyone and their cousin is going to use Sepulveda and the various canyon routes. She said "there are no secret routes to tell you about."

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I read
    "This is really funny.... soccer camp... blah blah blah ... tell you about"

7. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

Coming back from my vacation in Lake Tahoe last weekend, we saw flashing traffic signs on the I-5 warning us about the pending closure of the 405. This was in Stockton. So yeah, things are going to either a) be a total mess or b) like the 1984 Olympics where everyone stayed off the road or went out of town, and traffic was actually decent. I'm not betting on the second choice. I'll be exploring what the San Gabriel Valley has to offer this Hollywood resident - I wonder if Waterloo in San Dimas is open?

8. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

This will shock folks who have the old stereotype of Orange County, but the citizens of OC voted for a tax for transportation improvements, including the I-5 widening. And, when all that money was committed, the citizens of OC renewed the tax -- even with a law requiring a 2/3 vote.

9. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

Only 40k?!? Shit, I might take the Gold Line down and check it out.

10. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Then you have a reading comprehension problem, Slap. ;)

11. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Excuse me. I sit corrected: 50,000 seats for Real Madrid-Galaxy at the Coliseum:

From SportsBusinessDaily:
    Saturday’s Herbalife World Football Challenge match between the MLS Galaxy and Real Madrid at L.A. Coliseum has sold approximately 50,000 tickets so far, and Galaxy officials are confident the match will sell 10,000 additional seats by game time. Single-game tickets range from $52.80-524.10 (including fees) on Ticketmaster.com, with lower-bowl seats still available for $216.75. On StubHub.com, 594 tickets were selling for the game, with seats in the upper east end priced at $55 and lower-section seats selling for $170.

12. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Following this bikes vs. JetBlue race is pretty cool. Bikes way out in front at this point. Plane has yet to take off.

Draft saved Draft deleted