1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SoCal's Carmageddon

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Jun 20, 2011.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Turns out they broke ground yesterday on the I-5 widening in LA County...

http://www.whittierdailynews.com/news/ci_18333324

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

btw, that stretch of 5 from the 91 past Angel Stadium is the sweetest stretch of freeway in so cal, congestion wise (excepting maybe the 2)

3. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

They're gonna demo half of the overpass, rebuild/expand and then do the same thing next year-seems to be the same gameplan as the Sunset Blvd/405 overpass construction.

4. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

My Dad and sister are pretty much living off the PCH in Laguna this summer for work ... I'm sure they'll enjoy that going to Irvine.

5. TigerVols

The 71 in Chino Hills is pretty wide and usually very empty (until it gets to the 91 bottleneck, but construction is starting on that any day now).

6. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

I'm a big fan of the 2. Best way to get to Dodger Stadium and Staples Center from the Valley.

7. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

My LA pad is just off the 2. Great except going southbound in the mornings.

8. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

????

Laguna and Irvine are 50 miles south of the 405 at the 10. You don't even get on a freeway to go from Laguna to Irvine.

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

When I was living in SoCal, I was a big fan of the 2 as well.

And it was nice this past weekend to see the freeways flow when I was on them. Granted, it was Saturday afternoon and I went past the Big A before the U2 concert, but no issues (and I can say it now that I'm 1,000 miles away from the usual sit and wait).

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I took the 2 to La Canada Flintridge the last time I was in LA. Amazed at how wide-open the road was at midday.

11. TigerVols

Thank god Lady Gaga's going to keep everyone cool and calm and up-to-date on the closure...

http://www.laobserved.com/archive/2011/06/405_carmageddon_machine_c.php

(also interesting to note that the contractor will be fined $6,000 for every 10 minutes past the deadline that he keeps the freeway closed).

12. TigerVols

Yeah, I know the Hitler thing's been overdone...but this one's worth a look:

Draft saved Draft deleted