1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SoCal's Carmageddon

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Jun 20, 2011.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

You think Hollywood hype's a blockbuster? Well, if you live in SoCal, you ain't seen nothing yet. Or maybe you have...on the freeway alert signs this weekend, warning of a "big traffic jam" -- a month in advance! Or maybe on the dozens of websites covering the upcoming disaster...yes, I'm talking about Carmageddon 2011 -- the closure of the 405 (San Diego) freeway between the 10 (Santa Monica Fwy) and the 101 (Ventura Fwy) over the weekend of July 16 and July 17.

http://www.metro.net/projects/I-405/

The hype's like a mashup of a Pope visit in the middle of a Lakers Championship Parade!

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, I was out there this weekend and all the freeway signs -- and I was in the I.E. and the O.C. -- were flashing about this.

Just avoid LAX, UCLA and Santa Monica and ... yeah, it'll suck.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

It'll be like the '84 Olympics... people will avoid and it will be just fine...

Now, if they don't get finished by Sunday night - then there's gonna be problems.

4. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I thought at first you were talking about the hype for "Cars 2."

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Reading the thread title, I thought there was a new USC scandal involving athlete cars.

6. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Same here. Perhaps still to come.

7. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

They won't finish by Sunday. It'll be a month before the freeways are back to normal, which isn't that promising. Avoid UCLA, Westwood, LAX and Santa Monica and everything will be fine.
    Beach days in Ventura for me this summer.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

In '84, just about everyone left town. Freeways were great for the Games.

9. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

There are about 3 million more people in LA now than there was 25 years ago.

If they don't get the 405 done in time--and I'm assuming they won't--then that will be an absolute nightmare. Hell, it's a nightmare when all lanes are open.

Related question: I was told that LA and Orange Counties, many years ago, got state funding to expand the I-5. And only Orange County did it. Is that true? If so, why didn't LA County? And where's the money?

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

The 5 has been widened north of the 91 for a few miles; it was a huge project that was only completed last year.

The remainder, mostly through Norwalk where it can be as thin as 4 lanes in either direction, will be widened by the end of the decade, thanks mostly to TIGER stimulus funds.

So, in other words, your original premise is mostly correct!

http://www.dot.ca.gov/dist07/travel/projects/I-5/

11. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Is carmageddon karmageddon?

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The 405 is a circle of hell unto itself. Isn't widening Sepulveda Pass like putting a Band-Aid on a shotgun wound?

Draft saved Draft deleted