1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SoCal wants to secede from rest of state

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MTM, Jul 2, 2011.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Compared to what, Nevada? You win there.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

There's been talk for decades to break up California, mostly led by those north of San Francisco/Sacramento.

It won't fly, of course.

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I'm so glad to call Riverside County home. As you can see from what our elected officials have time to concentrate on, all the major problems facing our communities here have all been successfully solved. Eat your heart out if you don't live in the IE!

4. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._state_secession_proposals

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Lived in the IE for 30-plus years. Each time I go back home, I miss it less and less and less.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

If I had a dollar for every succession proposal I have heard in my life (looking at you, Quebec, Texas, etc.), I'd be quite wealthier.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Article IV, Section 3 of the Constitution prohibits this without Congressional approval:

"New States may be admitted by the Congress into this Union; but no new States shall be formed or erected within the Jurisdiction of any other State; nor any State be formed by the Junction of two or more States, or parts of States, without the Consent of the Legislatures of the States concerned as well as of the Congress.

"The Congress shall have Power to dispose of and make all needful Rules and Regulations respecting the Territory or other Property belonging to the United States; and nothing in this Constitution shall be so construed as to Prejudice any Claims of the United States, or of any particular State."

http://www.usconstitution.net/xconst_A4Sec3.html

8. Oh. Well, in that case, I'm in favor of it.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

I think a couple of decades ago, this came close to happening. The same argument can be made for states such as Texas, Pennsylvania, New York, etc. It won't happen.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

There's a certain political subculture which seems to just love the whole concept of 'secession.'

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Of course it won't happen. It's like a two-year-old throwing a tantrum when he doesn't get what he wants, when he wants. Oldest ploy in the books: "I'm leaving".

12. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

I believe 95 percent of LA County residents like myself would be delighted to have the counties mentioned become part of a new state. It's the same feeling that pretty much anyone outside of Florida has about the idea of taking giant scissors and just sniping that state off.

Draft saved Draft deleted