1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SoCal Earthquake

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by topsheep, May 17, 2009.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

If the San Andreas cracks out in Mentoe or in the Cajon Pass ... holy shit. And Berdoo sits on a lot of water, so the shaking will go on for a while. The best-case is for a 7.5 by the Salton Sea. It still wouldn't be pretty, though.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Seems like Cali has had a lot of small quakes lately. Is there any concern that these are "preshocks" building up to something bigger?

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Yeah, that's exactly the concern. The Inglewood fault is relatively dormant, so all this movement lately makes some people anxious that something bigger is on the way. Ninety-nine percent of the time, it's nothing.

Now, if the Caltech people start getting worried ... then I'll start worrying.

4. Armchair_QB

The Caltech guys are probably too busy critiquing the new Star Trek movie and figuring out how to fuck with the Rose Bowl scoreboard to care about a piddly earthquake.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

Call me morbid but I always wanted to be going up for the down stroke and an earthquake hit. What a rush.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

As long as you stand in the backdoor and let the frame protect you ....

7. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Ummm, no. Not a good idea.

For the longest time, this was considered the thing to do if you were in a building: find the nearest door frame. During the '94 Northridge quake, I had just gone back to bed after getting up with my wife to feed our month-old son when the entire house started shaking.

I remember laying there for 15 seconds -- room and house shaking all the while -- before thinking "I probably should get up and get in a door frame."

But I heard two earthquake experts this week say that's not a good idea. You're better off getting under a table or a desk than standing in a door frame.

Above all, they said DON'T run outside. The majority of people who get hurt in quakes are those who ran outside.

8. Armchair_QB

What is the reasoning for not running outside?

I can see how that would make sense if you were in an area with a lot of buildings and something could fall on you but I would think if you lived in a remote area you might be safer outdoors than in your house.

9. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

They said the statistics from earthquake injuries showed that more people were hurt by running outside (falling debris, glass, etc) than those who stayed inside under some sturdy object.

Unfortunately, it was radio and they didn't elaborate further, AQB.

Draft saved Draft deleted