1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SoCal Earthquake

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by topsheep, May 17, 2009.

1. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

To quote Lewis Black, "Where I live, the Earth doesn't quaketh."

And as much as I love California, I don't know if I'd ever get used to earthquakes.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Looks like a 4.1 today, near the same epicenter as Sunday's quake.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

There are only a couple things we really disagree on. And this is one of them.

99.8 percent of the earthquakes here are like a foot massage. Rumble, rumble, rumble. No worries. Go tell your non-Cali friends so they can freak out about the ground shaking. :D

Wildfires, now those are some scary mofos.

4. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I bet Mark DeRosa also hates earthquakes.

5. Klasky24

Klasky24 New Member

I live in La Mirada, which isn't TOO far away and I'd like to overdramatize this and say it was "the big one!", but...its was nothing, simply a little shake. Lasted about 10 seconds or so. Of course the news pounced on the opportunity and it became quite the ordeal.

Still waiting for the real "big one" to stand up. Hopefully I'm in an opportune place when it finally does happen.

And I've never been through a hurricane or tornado yet I still feel its better to live with an occasional shake rather than the apocalypse-like winds you guys have to deal with.

6. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I felt it . . . kind of a long roller. Others where I was had no idea there was a quake happening.

7. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

These quakes aren't registering where I am in SoCal. Deep SoCal.

8. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I've experienced a tornado a few blocks away from my house, and a 5.5 earthquake rumbling under me.

I will take an earthquake every time. Tornadoes are no joke. That scared the shit out of me.

9. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

Didn't feel today's at all and generously, I was about maybe 10 miles away from the epicenter.

And I agree with Shaggy. A tornado ran through my hometown and came within about 100 yards of my elementary school in 1976. I'll take a quake any day.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

If there's a 6.5-6.8 on the Newport-Inglewood Fault, it will be a freakin' disaster. But I think when the San Andreas breaks -- and it will to the tune of like a 7.3 to 7.7 -- it'll be near the Salton Sea and there will be damage, but not as much as something on Newport-Inglewood.

11. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Ding, Ding, Ding. See my post above. The Newport/Inglewood Fault will wreak havoc when it goes.

Now, it depends where the San Andreas shifts. If the epicenter is under our former hometown, the carnage will be pretty heavy. But out by the Salton Sea, where 15 people live? Only the scorpions, snakes and rodents will be affected.

And I didn't feel today's either.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Maybe they can have 10 more 5.0s, which equals a 6.0 since the Richter scale is, as you may know, logarithmic. A series of moderate shakers might lessen the danger. But a 5.0 is just a drop in the bucket of pent-up energy. And the longer without a jolt, the bigger it'll be when it blows.

Draft saved Draft deleted