1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SoCal Earthquake

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by topsheep, May 17, 2009.

1. topsheep

topsheep Member

Will all the Cali people describe the one that just hit?

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Rumble, rumble, rumble. My couch just shook for a good 5 seconds as I was sitting on it.

1 mile S-SE from Inglewood. A 5.0, says USGS.
    http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsus/Quakes/ci10410337.php

Damn, I'm like 100 miles away.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

5.0 is a quasi-decent shaker. Nothing major. Some stuff on shelves might fall off in the Inglewood/South Bay area. Felt as rumble about 80 miles to the east in the I.E. according to my very reliable sources. Probably will be a move-along-folks-nothing-to-see-here moment.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

LA Observed says at least two measurable aftershocks already: 3.1 and 2.5.

Nothing to worry about. Just a little rumble.

5. KP

KP Active Member

My brother is 10 miles from the epicenter and said it was a long 20-25 seconds of shaking. No visible damage to his building.

6. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

My wife felt it as she was laying in bed watching TV. I was out running errands and didn't feel it.

We're about 100 miles away from the epicenter.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

As long as the 5.0 was a fore-shock, things are cool.

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I was on a brick patio in Fullerton and we felt it for at least 15 seconds. Long rollers.

9. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

Felt like the A/C was coming on. I'm in Los Feliz, which is between Hollywood/downtown just west of Dodgers Stadium and about 20 freeway miles from the epicenter.

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

God.

I don't miss earthquake country.

I'd rather deal with my lack of tornados.

Good luck folks. I hope no bad aftershocks happen tonight.

11. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Didn't feel a thing. Then again, I'm about 85-90 miles from the epicenter.

A 5.0 on the Newport-Inglewood Fault... that's legit. Forget the San Andreas (parts of which you can see off the freeway I drive every day to/from work), that's the fault that if it ever goes off in the 6-plus neighborhood, all hell will break loose because that goes under some of the most populated areas in SoCal.

But 3.1-2.5 aftershocks? That's the cat jumping on the bed. Nothing to see here.

12. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I live about 90 miles to thre east. Windows rattled a bit, we speculated that it was a quake but didn't know for sure til we saw a scroll on TV.

Draft saved Draft deleted