1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Soap opera at Ball State

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HackyMcHack, Jul 11, 2007.

1. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Biglead, I also notice commenters on earlier coverage noted that there have been rumors that Ball State's president hired Thompson in hopes of greasing the skids for a president's job at a Big East school. That would be worth checking out. It certainly would explain why the prez was so quick to hire and defend Thompson. I've got to say, the Ball State Daily News has done a very good job with in handling the story, especially with a reduced summer staff.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Fantasyland, bubs... won't have the stones to respond.

3. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I dealt with Ronny Thompson once during his decorated tenure, and he was a fucking asshole.

4. Mmac

Mmac Guest

http://www.thestarpress.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070815/SPORTS/708150334/1006

Looks like Doug Zaleski reads Bubbler. A couple paragraphs in this piece seem strikingly similar to the above post. A pretty good piece (and post), nonetheless. This has got to be Wilbon's lowest moment. Hard to see how a guy with his reputation could get duped into such an error-ridden, one-sided column.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Reminds me of the Simpsons episode when the volleyball is deflated after landing on Lisa's spiked hair...

OK class, that was our only volleyball. there will be no team this year...

6. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

whitlock's foxsports.com column grills wilbon:
    http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/7127682

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

To say Wilbon was duped is insulting and patronizing to a gifted and respected columnist like Michael Wilbon. Wilbon, given his experience and intelligence. knew exactly what he was doing in writing the column in question. It was an intentional hatchet job, executed by one the best sports journalists in America in one of the most prestigious newspaper in history. Akin to sending a squad of fully loaded B-52's to bomb a 3 square yard junk lot.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Bubbler reads Doug Zaleski who has done a fine job on this story from the beginning.

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Whitlock did a great job with his Ball State column. I still disagree with him, in part, on Vivian. But great job on Ball State.

10. Will Wilbon respond to any of the criticism: in print or on PTI? Or will he let it die quietly?

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I'm sure he'll go on Big John Thompson's radio show in D.C. and they'll slobber all over each other on how Mike nailed the bastards to the wall.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I think he needs to answer for it because this column damages his credibility. So far as I can tell, he willfully ignored pertinent facts and presented a story that is biased at best and dreadfully inaccurate at worst, leaning towards the latter. At the very least, I'm not sure why the Post wouldn't want him to do that.

Draft saved Draft deleted