1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So you want to be a beat writer . . .

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Ralph Smith, Feb 1, 2014.

1. Ralph Smith

Ralph Smith New Member

Not sure who this writer is, but he must be a veteran of multiple major beats to display such insight as well as a weariness (a fatigue, perhaps?) regarding being a Major League Baseball beat reporter.

http://www.hardballtimes.com/so-you-want-to-be-a-beat-writer.../

Some good sources there as well.

Wow, this sure sounds like one of the toughest jobs anyone could ever do.

2. Uncle Frosty

Uncle Frosty Member

This reads like the whiniest column ever.

No one cares how tough your job is, any more than they care about your fantasy football team.

And God knows, all the civilians see is that you get into big sporting events for free and talk to their heroes face to face.

To them, you are the luckiest SOB in the world with a gig they'd kill for.

Pointing out the realities of the job doesn't make them educated, it just makes you seem like an ingrate.

Especially with so many truly shitty jobs out there.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The travel complaints are valid, but the average Joe doesn't want to hear about it.

The column is pretty dreadful. I have a couple friends quoted in the story and they might want to re-think their participation in such a column, even though I don't think any of them said anything too bad...

Nobody outside of the journalism community gives half a shit about any of this.

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

That's a pretty honest and truthful depiction of the life.

To me, the audience is journalists or future journalists, so I wouldn't give a shit what "fans" thought.

In sum, never fear the truth. Have all the problems you want with the column, but one problem you can't have is that it isn't the truth.

5. TopSpin

TopSpin Member

The truth is there are cons in virtually every field. I’m sure my lawyer pals can come up with a “So you want to be an attorney” or my career military pals can pen a “So you want to raise your right hand” piece.

I can’t think of too many occupations where a person won’t put in hard work. Individuals have to be wired a certain way for their chosen field. Covering sports for a living isn’t different in that regard.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

The grind can wear you down. The travel can keep you off balanced. The pressure can at times be unbearable. But it's part of the job. You're either cut out for it or you're not. There are worst jobs one can have.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

[inmg]http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/journalists.jpeg[/img]

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

9. Uncle Frosty

Uncle Frosty Member

Honest and truthful depiction of the worst parts of the job, maybe.

Still better than a lot of jobs.

10. I have more than once noted that they couldn't pay me enough to be a baseball beat writer. I can think of no bigger grind in the field of sports journalism.

11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Every job has its disadvantages.

There would be better subjects to whine about.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I agree with that. Also agree with the others who said that it really serves no one to publicly whine about it. On a message board like this? Sure. As a guest speaker at "career day"? Fine.

Draft saved Draft deleted