1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So you think you're ready for J-school

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by earlyentry, Aug 20, 2007.

1. earlyentry

earlyentry Member

there are weekly newspapers in my area which I'm sure would look into hiring me. I guess the point of my post was that I'm, admittingly, not a self-motivator. I created a blog, but have since stopped, and it seems like the only urge I get to write is when I'm on assignment. That's why J-school was mentioned in the headline, Would that experience, being around other journalist students/teachers, inspire and motivate me?

Don't know what you guys think, but I'm inquiring about running two team sites at Rivals. It's up my ally - college basketball and recruiting enthusiast - and while it might not pay the bills, I'm 24 and need the experience. Running a site would certainly help in the motivation department.

2. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

What's wrong with the weekly papers?

You'll crank out copious amounts of copy and get a better idea of how the industry works, not to mention pull in a steady paycheck.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i really don't think he cares what we think. i'm guessing he only wants positive reinforcement for whatever the hell he feels or doesn't feel like doing.

4. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I don't get why someone would bother with J-school if their main passion is recruiting coverage.

5. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

If being at games/watching sports doesn't inspire you to want to write, I don't know why you'd want to do it in the first place.

6. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Entirely possible.

EE, if I'm reading all this correctly, you're 24, fresh out of school and you're more worried about being inspired or motivated rather than employed?

Here's some advice for you: Get a gig, start writing. If you're hard up for motivation, just wait until the bill collectors start calling.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

There are two parts to being a sports writer. There is Sports, which is about 20 percent of what we do. And there is Writing, which is 80 percent. It would behoove you to have about 4x the interest, passion and dedication to Writing as you do to Sports, because that's where you'll spend 4x your time and effort in this life. Otherwise, find something that you'll like more.

8. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

Wow. Well said. I feel like the longer I'm in this business, my passion is with writing rather than the sports.

I don't care what I'm covering from professional sports to preps, if I can craft a well-written story the actual sport itself is secondary. It's about producing a great piece.

EE, if your passion for writing isn't there, well, then you better look elsewhere. Now if you want to try and get yourself more writing experience, read read read (Best American Sports Writing is a good start) and think to yourself when you're reading how the writer is presenting this topic.

Watch a game on TV and try and write a quick gamer. Post it in the Writers' Workshop so to get some constructive criticism. Lot of places are looking for stringers right now with prep football season beginning...

Most of all you need to have a passion. If it's not there, then, you might need to look elsewhere.

9. DGRollins

DGRollins Member

What percentage is chasing down incompetent freelancers that were supposed to have you the damn photos 45 min ago and aren’t answering their bloody phone?

Just wondering?

*Cough*…sorry.

Carry on.

10. earlyentry

earlyentry Member

Thanks for all of your sound advice. I do read,read,read. I save great games/features/columns/college sports stories from the NY Times - they're beginning to overtake my room - and I'll bookmark online stories that I've read from other papers I've found inspiring.

If there is a word, phrase, or sentence that tickles me, well, I'll save that too. It's putting that into practice that kills me. And it's not that I'm strictly passionate for the world of recruiting. The work Pete Thamel/Garry Parrish and Eric Prisbell have done to uncover the seedy world of recruiting and college athletics as a whole has also inspired me to work harder in that regard. I believe Eli Saslow is a bona fide when penning a feature story, but that's just me. At this point in time, I'd rather read more than write while unemployed. I can't help it.

I wanted all of your advice because you're well-spoken, passionate writers in a business I aspire to join. I wanted passionate responses, and you did that as well. Thanks so much. Hope I didn't offend any one. I

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Get a copy of Strunk & White. Learn it.

12. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

JD Canon has no idea why he just got an erection.

Draft saved Draft deleted