1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So you think you're ready for J-school

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by earlyentry, Aug 20, 2007.

1. earlyentry

earlyentry Member

Any advice for a '06 graduate who still needs to sharpen his skills (sentence structure/writing/reporting/storytelling)?

2. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

same advice for how to get to Carnegie Hall: Practice, practice, practice.

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

More advice: Read, read, read.

4. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

More advice: Study for the MCAT

5. earlyentry

earlyentry Member

I definitely read a lot, but I'm unemployed and not writing too much.

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Why not? Practice your craft even when you don't have a job.

Go find stories in the paper and make them better. Watch a game on TV and write a story about that and then see how the paper handled it the next day. Write a letter to a friend. Start a diary. Good heavens, e.e., get cracking.

7. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

BLOG!

/had to be said

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I used to write little briefs about major-league players every day when I was in your situation. It seemed like a waste of time to many people, but it helped me stay sharp with my writing, and it forced me to be more creative. It also forced me to learn about obscure baseball players, which comes in handy sometimes.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

why wouldn't you be working at least part time?

10. earlyentry

earlyentry Member

I was freelancing for a website until last month, traveling a bit to cities for basketball tournaments.

Are you wondering why I don't work at a newspaper, or just in general?

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

newspaper. seems as though part-time gigs aren't that hard to come by and it does keep you sharp while looking for full-time stuff.

12. In Cold Blood

In Cold Blood Member

EE,
    I'll echo Tom Petty's comment... find a part-time gig. Call the local paper. See if they need prep stringers. Even if you can just find an agate clerk job that you can parlay into the occasional volleyball gamer or short feature story, it gets your foot in the door and keeps you involved with newspapers until something permanent comes along

Draft saved Draft deleted