1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So you really think the NCAA is kinder to mid-majors these days?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, Mar 14, 2007.

1. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

I'd believe that.

Lexington, as charming a place as it can be, is a total clusterfuck when it comes to handling any type of crowd coming in town.

And they're expectingover 600K for the World Equestrian Games in '10.

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

But didn't John Thompson always house his team 100 miles away from the host city? Hoya Paranoia!

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Hey it's bigger than the Meadowlands and it hosted the FF just a few years ago.

If any current college arena could host a Final Four Rupp would be it.

4. Armchair_QB

Georgetown chose to stay in Louisville. They weren't forced to.

5. CollegeJournalist

True, except that Lexington would be a disastrous place to hold the Final Four these days. There aren't enough hotels, traffic is a nightmare and unless you're ready to hit the bars and get three kinds of inebriated with a bunch of college kids, there's not a whole lot of nightlife.

Of course, there's nothing wrong with that last part.

6. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

600,000 for the horse games? You sure about that?

7. Armchair_QB

I was commenting on Rupp not Lexington in general. Having lived there I would agree with your assessment of that fine city. Though for a town its size it does have a large number of smokin' hotties. And I'm not including UK coeds.

8. CollegeJournalist

"The 2006 FEI World Equestrian Games are currently underway in Aächen, Germany and run through September 3. Approximately 800 athletes and 875 horses are expected to compete. The 2010 Games in Kentucky are expected to attract more than 1,000 athletes from 40 countries, 500,000 spectators and have an economic impact of more than $150 million. "

From the official website of the World Equestrian Games.

9. CollegeJournalist

Understood. I was just adding that from an infrastructure standpoint, Lexington doesn't have many advantages to holding an event that size.

Like I said above, I'm still wondering how they're planning to pull off the World Equestrian Games in 2010, when 500-600K outsiders will join the 200K Lexington residents and 30K UK students in one city that is a nightmare to get around without the students or the visitors.

I underrated Lexington a little above. There really is a lot to do close, if you enjoy bourbon and bars. There are several good bars, some historic places and plenty of distilleries in the surrounding counties. And there's always Keeneland, which is probably where you've experienced the class of Lexington's fillies. And I don't mean horses.

10. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I think in between (check one from the early-mid '90s) it got very unkind, and is now overcompensating for the years it screwed them. Affirmative action?

11. Smartwriter

Smartwriter Member

Didn't UNC Charlotte use to be in the Sun Belt during Jeff Mullins' time as coach?

12. Mmac

Mmac Guest

Nice memory, I remember Milt's injury in the IU game but didn't realize it earned him the extra year. So Wagner went to 3 final fours and won a National Championship? Nice college career.

Draft saved Draft deleted