1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So, You Fire Your Head Coach, But....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BNWriter, May 14, 2009.

1. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

...Because relations between coach and owner are cordial and professional, you let him be his own interim replacement???

This seems odd to me, and I am sure you writers who are not crazy about af2 and other such leagues & sports will have plenty to say, and believe me, I would like to hear it (Just please keep the rancor to a minimum). I put this here to see if anybody else was scratching their heads at this when they saw it.

Personally, I liked Cowdrey. He was okay toward me -- even when he was not pleased. But I really want to hear what the SJ crowd thinks of this particular idea.

Proceed.......

http://www.pjstar.com/sports_pirates/x1194169332/Cowdrey-walks-plank

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

This feels a bit like the coach who's been told he's not coming back at the end of the season, but still finishes it off while they search for his replacement.

I seem to recall that happening before.

3. Yodel

Yodel Active Member

I guess it's not too much unlike a coach finishing out the year, thought it is strange to be allowed to coach only one more game. I'm more surprised the coach would agree to it.

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Yeah, that is more of a head-scratcher to me.

5. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

Either that or it's JRC-style management, where you fire someone then offer to re-hire them at a lower title and/or salary.

6. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Many years ago, TCU announced the firing of football coach F.A. Dry a few days before the final game of the season, which was on the road against Rice, but the decision wouldn't take effect until the day after the game.

Asked what he thought of that part, Fry's reply was "I guess they wanted to make sure I bring everybody back from Houston."

7. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

Not so fast. They had a change of heart after all.

http://www.pjstar.com/sports/x1393576850/Pirates-put-coach-back-on-plank

8. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

Mike Hohensee gets Cowdrey's Peoria job....

http://www.pjstar.com/sports_pirates/x1993051489/Rushing-down-from-Chicago

9. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

are we ready to rename this thread: af2 peoria coach running thread

10. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

11. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Well, we knew Arena Football was minor league to begin with...

af2 is amateur hour.

12. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

This still isn't as bad as Kevin McHale running the Timberwolves into the ground as GM, being relieved of those duties, named coach, performing horribly in that role, and then being told by Glen Taylor that it will still be his choice as to whether he returns as coach, even when a new GM is named.

Draft saved Draft deleted