1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So, yeah, um ... Nashville is under water.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Wes Rucker, May 3, 2010.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

That's tragic, given Nashville's history as an insurance company headquarters.

Nashville's status as a music mecca is entirely due to the country and R&B music that used to be piped across huge parts of North America by the two clear channel radio stations founded and operated by competing insurance companies - 650 WSM (We Shield Millions - founded by National Life) and 1510 WLAC (founded by Life and Casualty).

2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Broadbent Arena used to be the home of Louisville's old minor league hockey team, but it seats 6,600.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Got it. The TVA governs only the Tennessee River proper, which swings well south of Nashville into Alabama and then back up to Knoxville. The Cumberland flows directly into the Ohio separately.

4. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I can't really tell by the pics, but it looks like most of the high water is going east and south of the heart of downtown. One photo looked like some water was going up Broadway, but stops about Second Ave.
    Is this correct or what's it doing in that area? Nashville is kind of hilly in most areas.
    As for all the country music stuff, Music Row is a good distance from the flooded LP Field area. The avenues start next to the river and run west going up in number. Music Row is 16th.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Isn't the Preds' arena on Music Row?

6. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Holy crap. Most of downtown Nashville is on a big hill with the highways circling below it. That must be some flood. I hope everyone gets through this down there.

7. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Preds arena is downtown across from the Hilton and the Country Music Hall of Fame.

Music Row is a little further out on 16th Ave.

8. printdust

printdust New Member

http://www.fox17.com/

The top news video link in the middle of the page is astounding. From my recollection of Nashville this is just off I40. Friggin incredible footage.

9. printdust

printdust New Member

Matthew 24:8. I know we've had disasters in the past but I sense a quickening of these in these times that have far more reaching economic consequences. Not trying to be preachy but when I think of the end times from a Christian perspective, while we're to find eternity on the other side, living through those and having children and in some cases for those among us, grandchildren, is just damn scary. The world 10 years ago and especially 20 years ago just didn't have this same feel. I mention 20 because that long ago we would have been shaken to the core by a school shooting. Now it's just an item on the news.

10. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

20 years ago we didn't have the same 24-hour blanket coverage. There were disastrous floods along the Mississippi/Missouri and Guadelupe in the past 20 years that, IIRC, caused a lot more high water than this flood seems to be causing (not to minimize this one obviously). Looking at the always reliable wikipedia, there were 13 "noteworthy" floods in the 1990s alone.

There's a lot more national attention, for lack of a better term, to anything that can be labeled "disastrous" now, though we still miss a fair bit internationally.

I lived in Nashville for five years and love the town, and it sucks to see so much of it with water damage. The Cumberland never struck me as a particularly volatile river.

11. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

The coverage of this on the network news channels is appalling. In fact, there's two disasters going on right now that are taking a back seat to some failed bomb attack which hurt no one. I understand the importance of that, but the story will play out over weeks and months.

This natural disaster stuff is here and now.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Apparently the weather gods had a hard on for Nashville.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted