1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So, yeah, um ... Nashville is under water.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Wes Rucker, May 3, 2010.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Damn. Went to the Opryland Hotel for a wedding not long ago, it was cool.

How many more disasters can we take?

2. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

The Knoxville Coliseum seats 7K? Wow. I certainly wouldn't think that. For a concert maybe with seats on floor, but not with the hockey setup. Maybe it does. I'm not good at seating guestimates. I remember going to watch the Cherokees play and wouldn't have thought there were that many ... of course it that was 15 years ago.

3. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I just checked a bunch of Knoxville Ice Bears' box scores and they averaged mid 2Ks and had a couple of home games up the 4K range. I guess the building seats quite a few, they just don't sell the seats.

4. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Some of the best on-the-fly photos I saw from the flooding in Nashville came from the Twitter account of Preds goalie Dan Ellis - @dellis39

5. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

Family PD was in the Nashville suburb of Franklin Saturday and Sunday for an AAU basketball tourney.

If you're familiar with the Cool Spring Galleria - that parking lot was under water. Hundreds of people lost their vehicles because the water came up so quickly. Moore's Lane and Mallory Lane next to the Galleria were torrential rivers.

Took us over an hour to go the approximately 3 miles from the gym to our hotel. Took us about 90 minutes to go back for a second game, only to discover our opponent had fled town trying to beat the flood.

If you're familiar with historic downtown Franklin, it's pretty much submerged.

Team spent about 2 hours Saturday night huddled in the hotel stairwell with tornado sirens blaring. Made for a very, very long night.

We got out of town about 10 a.m. Sunday. Other teams (from Memphis and Lexington, Ky.) weren't sure if they were even going to be able to do that.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I thought the TVA operated those lakes and not the Corps.

7. Wes Rucker

Wes Rucker Member

I keep thinking about what that beautiful city is going to look like when the water comes back down, and it's not going to be pretty.

This is much, much worse than most people think. I know the oil spill and Times Square bomb plots are also huge stories, but I'm fairly stunned at the lack of coverage of this story.

Again ... Nashville is one of the 25 largest cities and media markets in this country, and much of that area is partially or completely under water. This is a big deal, and it should be treated as such.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Sorry Wes, DWTS is on tonight. America will pay attention later.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Tomorrow's American Idol. Try me on Thursday.

Sorry. Wes, to you and yours, my best. I had no idea, but I haven't been online or watching TV during daytime hours for a couple weeks, so I missed the whole story. This is absolutely horrible.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

You only cover us when our downtown is under 10 feet of water ... and Dancing With the Stars is over.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I watched CNN for a bit today. To see coverage of Nashville I had to switch to The Weather Channel.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I'm afraid billions of dollars in losses are not going to be covered. Lots of flooded property is sitting in areas where nobody thought a flood was possible, and therefore had no flood insurance. Nashville is affluent enough to bounce back, but the financial toll is going to be fearsome.

Draft saved Draft deleted