1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So, yeah, um ... Nashville is under water.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Wes Rucker, May 3, 2010.

1. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Ryman's above water - there's a Goo Goo Dolls concert there tonight - but the regular Opry site at Opryland is flooded. But down the street (and hill) from Ryman, Bridgestone Arena's event level is flooded. The water's coming up through the drains. Lucky the Predators are out of the playoffs. They might have had to play every game in Vancouver.

The LP Arena field is also flooded. You could hold a sailboat race there.

The city's a Level 1 disaster area.

2. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Thoughts go out to Nashville....People in Houston and Galveston feel your pain: Hurricane Ike hit just as the economic crash hit the fan, so attention went elsewhere.

3. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

If the Ryman is under water, you don't have to worry about Nashville because it's gone. I heard somewhere today the Cumberland is supposed to crest at about 30 feet, which means bad news for LP Field and much of Second Ave. (SAVE MULLIGANS!), but the Ryman is up on the side of hill about three blocks away.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

DON'T DRINK THE BROWN WATER!

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

Holy shit, I had no idea. Best wishes to all who are there, or who have family and friends there.

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Will be interesting to see if my fellow Nashvillians will call out the The Army Corps of Engineers for dropping the ball, so to speak. Nashville's surrounded by Corps waterways, and yet the downtown business district gets flooded? Could be because it's a 100-year rain, and rivers just flood.

But then again, the Corps is spending almost $1 billion to improve a damn near my home in SoCal on the Santa Ana River -- $1 billion -- and the area gets less than 2 feet of rain a year. I don't think the Corps is to blame, but others might.

7. TigerVols

Just heard the Predators' Arena is flooded, along with the aforementioned LP Field. So is the city's sparkling new Symphony Hall. Bad is an understatement.

Keeping my fingers crossed for my families homes there.

Also, hoping no fires break out.

Meanwhile, from a former Nashvillian, a tune highly appropriate for the day...

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

I was thinking of that very song.

And I wonder where the Preds would be playing and practising if they had managed to win their playoff series against Chicago. Where's the nearest NHL-calibre facility not currently being used? Columbus? I doubt they'd have settled for, say, the arena in Knoxville.

9. TigerVols

Prolly Fed-Ex Arena in Memphis.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

Good call. Wonder how fast it could be made ready for hockey, given that I don't think it has a hockey tenant. Obviously it doesn't matter since the Preds are done; I'm just curious.

11. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

NHL-caliber in terms of seating? Murfreesboro, Bowling Green or Louisville most likely. Somewhere that actually has ice? Atlanta.

Murfreesboro is a non starter. MTSU isn't going to give up their basketball facility for the Preds. Same for WKU. I know most places do hockey/basketball, but that'd be too much to ask for a school, I think. There might be somewhere in Louisville.

The old arena downtown where the Nashville Nighthawks played seats under 2K probably, same as Knoxville.

I'm sure they'll get it squared away by October, or this could send the Preds packing.

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

I think I read that Knoxville's arena seats more than 7,000.

But if Nashville does end up needing a new permanent home, I know just the place.....

[​IMG]

;D

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted