1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So, yeah, um ... Nashville is under water.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Wes Rucker, May 3, 2010.

1. Wes Rucker

Wes Rucker Member

Not sure how many people outside our fair state have noticed, but one of the 25 largest cities in this country is engulfed by water.

Downtown Nashville is a damn mess. The Grand Ole Opry, LP Field, Bridgestone Arena and several other expensive, important venues are being damaged by this.

This needs attention. I know we're a landlocked state and all, but this seems like a big national story that is being completely overlooked. Nashville's not a small, insignificant place.

2. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

My cousin lives there and the photos she's posted on Facebook are just incredible. Some areas are just devastated. Very scary.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Knew it was bad. Had no idea it was this bad. Very reminiscent of the Des Moines flood in 1993 except Nashville is a much bigger city.

I'm surprised to hear Ryman is underwater. I thought that was a ways above flood level.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

That's horrible. I freaking LOVE Nashville. With a passion.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Dear Wes: Floods are awful, as we New Englanders know. What's special awful is that people don't see them the same as they do other natural disasters. Folks who work for disaster relief nonprofits say that floods are the hardest ones to raise funds for, because the pictures aren't scary/graphic enough to stir the masses to open their checkbooks.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I posted a couple of photos on the storms thread from last week — the one of LP Field and the dugout at Vandy.

7. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

A great, sad video here of the Nashville flooding.

It's amazing, too, that they had to evacuate the Opryland Hotel in a hurry because of flooding coming in.

UPDATE: Opryland expected to be closed -- for MONTHS.

http://nashville.bizjournals.com/nashville/stories/2010/05/03/daily3.html

8. ripple

ripple Member

Here's a thread on another forum with some photographic evidence. It's bad.

http://sixpackspeak.yuku.com/topic/46158/t/Photos-from-Nashville.html

9. Wes Rucker

Wes Rucker Member

Just heard from a good buddy who covers the Titans that water is 3-4 rows and rising inside LP Field.

10. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

OMIGOD! NOT THE WALMART!!
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

According to someone who worked there, Opryland has miles of service tunnels underneath the hotel. Apparently those are completely flooded. And there's 19 feet of water in some parts of the building. Absolutely unbelievable.

12. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

Yuck!! Thoughts and prayers with everyone dealing with this ...

Draft saved Draft deleted