1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So, WTF Rolling Stone? Dzhokhar Tsarnaev as a cover?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by H.L. Mencken, Jul 17, 2013.

1. tmr

tmr Member

As for the "If you don't pay attention to the words on the cover" argument, is that something to worry about? So no one should have ever used these pictures of the bomber? Because I've seen them in a lot of places. I obviously understand why anyone affected by the bombing is disgusted at news coverage of Jahar.

It's not like this is new. Time did it with Columbine. I think too many people equate RS with fluff and celebrities. I subscribe for news features, especially their foreign coverage.
    http://bztv.typepad.com/instanthistory/images/2007/04/22/1101990503_400_2.jpg

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Well-said...

I know OJ and Manson have been on covers before, but those photos don't look like glamour shots.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The "Monsters Next Door" Time cover with the Columbine killers was a bit different, it didn't look like a glamour shot and it ran days after the massacre happened. The difference between Time and RS is notable as well. RS covers are usually reserved for celebrities or Obama.

It does make a difference. If Time runs this photo days after the bombing, the context is considerably different than this is.

4. tmr

tmr Member

That's a good point about the context of a RS cover, though I'd argue a lot of people that are "upset" about this issue, don't really know that or understand RS covers these stories so well, like you do. It's just something to get angry about on Twitter for a few hours.

5. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

I just don't think with have the ethical right to edit with moralistic ideas like "We're not going to give him publicity."

They regularly cover news, and this is one of the biggest stories of the year. It's also a story that I think the reader wants to see. One year, the kid is wrestling in the state tournament, and the next he's a mass murderer. Fascinating stuff.

You report the news, pleasant or not.

The "Don't give them publicity" idea is one I expect from non-journalists.

6. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Use a photo that conveys some of the horror of the street scene as the cover art, with The Bomber's facial shot laid on top of it somewhere. "The Bomber" hed and the mug shot will combine to get the point across in a more serious manner.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I thought the cover was pretty effective at showing just how easy it is for someone to get off that "normal" path.

Also I think someone pointed it out on the last page, but RS could give a fuck what any of us think. If their market buys it, that's what matters. Kind of reminds me of all the New Yorker covers that get talked about with so much heat by a lot of people who aren't otherwise reading the New Yorker.

8. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

RS uses portraits on its covers. Always has. That a mass murderer has the soft features teenage girls respond to is genetic happenstance, not evidence of a plot by the RS edit board.

9. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Drug store giant CVS (based in Rhode Island) announces it won't sell the magazine:

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2013/07/17/cvs-tedeschis-wont-sell-rolling-stone-with-tsarnaev-on-cover/

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I don't find a 40-year-old cover to be compelling evidence of a contemporary rebranding push.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

You can buy it at a CVS, but only if you give them your weight first.

Draft saved Draft deleted