1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So, WTF Rolling Stone? Dzhokhar Tsarnaev as a cover?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by H.L. Mencken, Jul 17, 2013.

1. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

I get that RS pretends to be a magazine that still handles SERIOUS issues as it sees fit, when it's not sucking on popular music's teat. But this feels so wrong to me. You're essentially giving this loser the fame and spotlight he wanted with this.

http://m.rollingstone.com/?redirurl=/culture/news/five-revelations-from-rolling-stones-boston-bomber-cover-story-20130716

2. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

I'm not sure I get the outrage. If you're telling his story, how else would you do it?

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I noticed cover at distance in airport rack and thought is was a story about Bob Dylan

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I'm not sure it's the fact that he's on the cover per se, but that he's posed in such a "sympathetic" way. If you didn't know better, you might think it was a story about some hot new singer-songwriter.

[​IMG]

Plus, the Rolling Stone cover is iconic. Getting on it is something everyone in music/popular culture used to aspire to. There's a freakin' song about it, for Christ's sake.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I doubt (but could be wrong) they took that picture at the Ft. Devens federal correctional facility. So I'm guessing it's a family picture they got hold of.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'm curious about whether it's a one-off cover, or whether RS is going to try to re-brand itself over time as a news magazine that includes pop culture rather than a pop culture magazine that includes news. I'm not even sure who their audience is now. Pop music doesn't have the cultural penetration it did just a few years ago. At the same time, teens and twentysomethings are going to tire of five-star Mick Jagger and John Fogerty solo album reviews at some point. Political magazine to engage young lefties? That seems like a sweet spot they can really aim for and succeed.

8. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Why are they spelling his name "Jahar" instead of Dzhokhar? Is that common? I don't think I've seen Jahar anywhere else....I remember some Usama/Osama stuff with bin Laden but that came up fairly often.

9. Boom_70

[​IMG]

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It's a curious cover choice... Is Matt Taibbi arguing that he's a great American?

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I think it's a piece by Taibbi about how Tsaernaev's bank is the real culprit here. Lot of posts so far about how, once you get past him calling the Cambridge Corner Credit Union a "cocksucking, shit-eating, piss-gobbling piece of shit motherfucker," you "can't argue with his logic!!!ELEVENTY111"

12. Boom_70

I did not read the story but cover evokes memories of the radical 60's when promising
    students also blew up buildings to protest Viet Nam.

In some circles those students were admired perhaps because they were American and also
    because the war was not popular.

Draft saved Draft deleted