1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So. Who wins the Heisman?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Nov 23, 2013.

?

Pick the Heisman winner.

1. Jameis Winston

22 vote(s)
    34.4%
  2. Johnny Manziel

4 vote(s)
    6.3%
  3. Marcus Mariota

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. AJ McCarron

28 vote(s)
    43.8%
  5. Other

10 vote(s)
    15.6%
  1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I don't see what the knock on McCarron is. Just that he doesn't have jaw-dropping physical skills like a Manziel or Mariota or Winston or Cam Newton?

Well, for one, he's the perfect fit for what he's asked to do in that system. Second, we don't know what kind of passing numbers he might put up if needed because his team is almost never behind in the second half of games. Third, he just wins games.

As for Winston, I wouldn't vote for a freshman, no matter who he is. Not after Manziel's last offseason. This really should be an upper classman award, as it was for more than 70 years. And, 20 years from now, what if we look back and remember the Heisman winner was prosecuted (and possibly) convicted of sexual assault. I know, innocent until proven guilty and I truly, truly hope he is innocent. If so, he'll have another year to worry over things like a football award.

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I like Andre Williams a lot as a candidate because he so clearly is the best running back in the country. He has 462 more rushing yards than anyone else and easily could add another 200 vs. Syracuse. The knock on him is he literally has not caught a pass this season.

I also think Bryce Petty still is in the discussion, alongside Marcus Mariota and Johnny Manziel. I love AJ McCarron and thought he should have been No. 2 last year, but his production is way down this season. C.J. Mosley is Alabama's best player this season.

But the award should go to Jameis Winston, obviously.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

My lack of interest in the Heisman is massive, but I will say that every time I've seen McCarron, he's looked like an NFL starter to me.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

McCarron in 2012 (14 games): 211-for-314 (67.2 percent), 2,933 yards, 30 TDs, 3 INTs

McCarron in 2013 (11 games): 190-for-277 (68.6 percent), 2,399 yards, 23 TDs, 5 INTs

McCarron in 2013 (14-game pace): 242-for-352 (68.6 pct), 3,053 yards, 29 TDs, 6 INTs

So he's on pace for more yards, a higher completion percentage, 1 fewer TD, and 3 more INTs ... also 1 fewer loss.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

McCarron would be the "Meh...can't vote for anyone else, I guess. And he's won a bunch. Sure, let's give it to the kid. Why the hell not? [/pounds another beer]" pick.

Or, as I read this weekend, he would be the "In Case of Emergency" pick.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think people are looking for a reason not to vote for Winston. McCarron is a pretty good reason.

I could still see Winston winning it.

7. JackReacher

They don't have to look very hard.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

But if Winston didn't have the legal situation, he would be running away with it.

9. JackReacher

Agreed. But if they're looking for a reason not to vote for Winston, they have it. Not saying I agree with it, but it's there. And it's not McCarron.

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Why not Bridgewater? A lot of people think he may go above Clowney in the draft at No. 1. He's got the numbers. He plays for a top 15-20 team.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Since Louisville's loss, Bridgewater has not been mentioned by the college football commentariat on ESPN, CBS Sports Network, etc. who shape the agenda for the outsized Heisman electorate.

12. JackReacher

Bridgewater going ahead of Clowney in the draft would be a "QB needy" situation; not because he'll be a better pro.

And Bridgewater has thrown 2 TDs in his last 3 games -- UConn, Houston, Memphis. Not exactly lighting it up late in the season when it counts the most, and against shitty teams.

Draft saved Draft deleted