1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So. Who wins the Heisman?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Nov 23, 2013.

?

Pick the Heisman winner.

1. Jameis Winston

22 vote(s)
    34.4%
  2. Johnny Manziel

4 vote(s)
    6.3%
  3. Marcus Mariota

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. AJ McCarron

28 vote(s)
    43.8%
  5. Other

10 vote(s)
    15.6%
  1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

AJ still an enigma to me as far as the NFL goes.

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I didn't say he is middle-of-the-road talent. He's a great quarterback, far above average. But there are at least five better players.

3. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I have no idea what really happened in the Winston case, and it's been mishandled to the point there is likely no way we'll ever know. But 20 years from now we're going to look back at this season and wonder for a second how in the hell he didn't win the Heisman, then we'll remember it had nothing to do with football.

4. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

Manziel is better. Will he be a better pro? Not sure. Manziel's greatest gift is his feet. If he tries to spin and whirl around in the NFL, he'll be out of the league in 36 months.
    Mariotta might be better. Losing like a dog to Arizona and letting his team sulk after that Stanford loss certainly doesn't help his case. Better athlete. Better QB? I'm not sure I agree.
    Boyd is not better.
    Bridgewater could be, but the competition he faces is a joke so who knows.
    Winston will be better if he's not wearing an orange jump suit drinking toilet wine a year from now.
    The idea that Mettenberger or Murray is better than him is hilarious.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

And it still won't be as big as travesty as Gino Torretta over Marshall Faulk.

6. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

It's not a travesty at hall, it's a football award. It just would have been one of the easier votes in a while without this stuff. I'll feel a little bad for him if he's innocent, but either way he's going to get rich in the NFL.

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Andre Williams of BC was mentioned on the coaching thread. The guy has been dominant all year and accomplished a pretty rare feat. He's playing on a mediocre team, though, so doubt he'll get much love.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

See Troy Davis.

Back-to-back 2,000-yard seasons in 1995 and 1996 and didn't even win the Doak Walker Award.

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Good point, I'd forgot all about him. But those Iowa State teams were absolutely brutal.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

As an NFL QB I say that McCarron falls somewhere between Chad Pennington and
    Andy Dalton.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

That's who is penciled in for me.

12. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Two top contenders met on the field this year, in College Station. Their stats:

McCarron, Alabama: 20-for-29, 334 yards, 4 TDs, 0 INTs (and Alabama won the game, 49-42)

Manziel, Texas A&M: 28-for-39, 464, 5 TDs, 2 INTs. (also 98 yards rushing).

If Alabama wins out, McCarron wins the Heisman. And he deserves it.

Draft saved Draft deleted