1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So. Who wins the Heisman?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Nov 23, 2013.

?

Pick the Heisman winner.

1. Jameis Winston

22 vote(s)
    34.4%
  2. Johnny Manziel

4 vote(s)
    6.3%
  3. Marcus Mariota

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. AJ McCarron

28 vote(s)
    43.8%
  5. Other

10 vote(s)
    15.6%
  1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Does anyone think that if McCarron was playing quarterback at any place that wasn't Alabama, he'd be in the Heisman conversation?

Skill wise he's middle of the road and he isn't he best quarterback in his conference or even his division. That's got to count for something.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

But, as jr said, he does win games. That should count for something.

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

That means he's Alabama's MVP, not the best player in the country.

4. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

The idea that he's middle of the road skill wise is dumb. If he played at LSU, I do think he'd be a Heisman contender. Or Florida. Or Georgia.

There are very few throws he can't make. He had NFL size and he's accurate. In the BCS game last year, he absolutely roasted a pretty good defense.

He's played in front of a great offensive line, so who knows how he'd handle making throws while getting drilled in the face. And I have no idea how smart he is since I suspect Saban controls what he does within an inch of his life. But the idea that he's Joe Average is absurd.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Sports Illustrated in cover story this week let the cat out of the
    bag on McCarron's hardscrabble childhood. That should seal
    the Heisman vote from those that love that angle.

I am surprised that it took 4 years for this story to come out. Knew about
    the boating accident rhyme and verse but never the poor childhood
    complete with the F150 with hole in floorboards.

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

And he disappeared without a trace this week against LSU.

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

You do realize the guy is projected to go first round, right?

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That doesn't matter a whole lot when you're talking about who is the better college player.

9. jr/shotglass

Yes ... but ... not seeing how this connection isn't getting made ... he's a first-round projection who has won two national titles.

The first-round projection DOES mean a whole lot, when you couple it with the fact that he has been so overwhelmingly effective on the college level.

I'll try to think of more ways to say that, but that should work for most for now.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Geno Smith was projected to go in top 5.

11. jr/shotglass

Didn't win the Heisman. :)

Ohh ... I see what you're saying.

Hey, if he drops into the second or third round, he's still a legitimate talent.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

There are quite a few Division I quarterbacks who could win two national titles behind 1,500 pounds of lineman and with that defense on the other side. McCarron does what he's asked, but it's a relatively small amount that he's asked to do compared with the other guys.

You can think of as many ways as you want to say it. And I'm thinking he probably will win it. But he isn't the best player.

FYI Tebow's one Heisman came when his team finished 8-4. He didn't win it either of the next two years when his team was a combined 24-2. The Heisman has seen both cases, but the standard is more often "best college player" than it is "winner." The standard is never "best future pro."

Draft saved Draft deleted