1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So who plays Lombardi?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Jul 28, 2009.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Compared to those two and "3" ... "Junction Boys" was an Oscar winner.

(Although I was one of the few here who always maintained that "Junction Boys" was pretty entertaining anyway, outside of a few cringe-worthy lines.)

2. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Drew Carey was my first thought, too. I guess it was the haircut, glasses and midwest schtick. But I don't think he has the acting chops to carry off Lombardi.

I could see DeNiro doing this role and doing it well.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I wonder if ESPN is going to make this as factually inaccurate as the Season on the Brink film and have Lombardi coaching Brett Favre during the 1996 season.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I hope we'll see a young Lombardi tell his father "I just wanna coach football, daddy!"

5. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Tom Hanks
    body type isn't exactly right, but with a haircut and the right glasses he could pull it off to perfection.
    I don't think a guy with his credentials does and ESPN TV movie, though.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

What about this guy?

[​IMG]

For the uninitiated, that's Domenick Lombardozzi, who played Herc in "The Wire." He also played Moose Skowron in "61*."

He's only 33, so he might be a little young (and also a little too tall), but still, he's got the general look and build and the New York accent ...

Buck, in general with these ESPN biopics, the source material hasn't been the problem. "A Season on the Brink," "The Junction Boys" and "Hustle" were all excellent books, well-researched and critically acclaimed. (I'm not sure what the source material for "3" was). Now as for what the producers/directors will do in their adaptations, I'm not sure.

7. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I think we can guarantee at least two scenes:

"What the hell's going on out there? Everybody grabbin! Grab, grab, grab!"

And: "What we want is to get a seal here, and seal here."

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I can't see Giamatti pulling it off from a looks standpoint...

I love Jerry Stiller, but he's one of those guys who I don't think I could take seriously in a serious part.

I'll bet there's some character actor who has been on Sopranos who could pull it off better than any big name.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

He ain't quittin'!

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Vinnie Pastorie ( AKA Big Pussy)

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Michael Rispoli (AKA Jackie Aprile Sr.) already has the hat and glasses:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Too big.

Lombardi was not a massive looming guy. Look at some of those old pictures of him on the Packer sideline; most of those guys towered over him, and this was in the days that a guy who was 6-3, 275 was a giant.

But Vince Curatola (Johnny Sack) from The Sopranos might be a good pick.

It can't be an A-lister (DeNiro, Hanks, probably Giamatti) because this isn't going to be a multi-multi-million-dollar production. It's got to be a B-lister, a TV guy, or one of those character actors.

On the Tom Landry sub-tangent: Chris Cooper.

Draft saved Draft deleted