1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So who is watching CBS Evening News tonight?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Idaho, Sep 5, 2006.

1. Whatever, he's having a really good week.
    http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2006-09-06-painkiller-limits_x.htm

On the other hand, "there are no circumstances under which" sending your maid out to score for you is legal, either.

2. Gold

Gold Active Member

Hondo:

It's really a little scary to think that you work in journalism. What you have done with my words is remarkable.

In the first place, I didn't say Rush Limbaugh didn't know who Will Rogers was. I said he probably wasn't familiar with what Will Rogers did if he would make a statement comparing what he did to Will Rogers.

In the second place, I did say he was a carnival barker selling "something", I said he was like a carnival barker selling a "magic elixir" - a fraud medicine.

In the third place, I wasn't ripping him for reading newspapers. I read newspapers. I like reading newspapers. However, when I write something, I talk to people and do a little more research than reading newspapers. Why wouldn't a conservative who wants to be informed read four or five conservative columnists? That might take a half an hour, and you would be ahead two and a half hours instead of listening to Rush Limbaugh. Why would you waste your time listening to him, when you could learn more by reading anybody else or listening to books on tape?

In the fourth place, I never said a thing about Al Franken. He made a career by doing weak stuff on Saturday Night Live while the talented members of the cast were changing and getting ready for something which held more prospect for being funny. He wasn't as big a fraud as Andy Kaufman, but Al Franken is pretty much of a con artist too.

Using drugs without a prescription is illegal. Period. Rush admitted it when it was obvious he would be caught - your effort to portray him as being forthright is laughable even for you.

As to Rush Limbaugh's success, if you know a thing about radio, you know that morning drive time pretty much drives the station, and afternoon drive time shows are second. Rush Limbaugh is on during the times between those shows. Between 9 and 3 used to be time when radio programmers would feature program which would be more likely to appeal to women. What Rush did was find a show which appealed to men, and it is easier and cheaper to run that show rather than do something locally. If you don't know this about radio, you are in a small minority on this board.

AM radio is declining for a reason. The amount of products you can sell to Rush Limbaugh's audience would be pretty limited. He's the biggest because Howard Stern left broadcast radio. Would Rush Limbaugh's audience buy satellite radio for the main purpose of listening to him? I kind of doubt it.

Domino's pizza sells more pizza than anybody. Using your logic, Domino's would be the best pizza. If you believe that, you are completely beyond hope.

Why do I say it is scary that, based on your response, it is scary that you would work in journalism? Because you obviously have no regard for the quality of information. You are completely unable to judge integrity. How could you make a statement that Rush Limbaugh knows more than 80 percent of the people doing NFL commentary? How would you know that?

You embarrass yourself and that, not your support of conservative politics, is why you are worthy of no respect.

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

First of all, I'll let you know when I'm embarassing myself, and I sure as hell won't use your opinion in that regard as a barometer for that. I've been in journalism for 31 years and won 26 state and national writing awards, so I won't apologize for my career, body of work or who I think is or isn't a good radio talk-show host, NFL analyst or writer. The fact remains that precious few NFL analysts know what the hell they're talking about. You trying to tell me that Chris Berman, Jim Nantz, Terry the Clown Bradshaw, Michal Irvin, Frank Gifford or any other shlub are worth a damn? Al Michaels, Cosell, Gowdy, that's about it. For anyone, Rush included, to be among the top 10 percent ain't hard.

What you call embarrassing myself is simply the fact that I don't hold the same opinions as you. And I'll take my respect where I get it: my colleagues, editors and readers who I have the joy and pleasure of working with and for for the past three decades.

I certainly don't want or need your respect and I won't lose a bit of sleep over the lack of it. I have the respect of people with more talent and integrity in their little finger than you have in your whole body.

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

This thread has wandered dangerously away from "Journalism Topics Only."

It may need to move ...

5. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Gold and Hondo, I'll fetch the beer for the both of you, but let me spell this out very clear: I used to like Rush and Franken. Rush isn't all that, but the sumbitch is #1 on radio (unless if you don't count Jim Rome and his clones). Franken is not funny anymore. He's a bitter bitch who would rather spend time going after Rush.

Both of you are right and wrong about both. Limbaugh's star has fallen since his oxycontin flap and Franken can't capitalize on Limbaugh's fall for his own radio show. These two are not worth the time to listen to, and we need to stick to the topic at hand, which is perky Katie.

Listen sweetheart, you are getting paid $22 million to read a teleprompter for 22 minutes live. A simple "good night and we'll see you tomorrow for the evening news" will suffice.

Courage, my ass. I heart Brokaw and Jennings.

6. Gold

Gold Active Member

Mizzougrad has commented before on where you work. I'll leave it at that. Period.

As to your writing awards, some group has patted you on the head and said good job. Whooptee-damn-do.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Putting out the beacon for Lugnuts to comment on this (Couric, not the pissing match necessarily).

8. Space Monkey

Space Monkey Member

Did Katie flirt with any young actors on the show?

That, and always trying to show off her legs, made me turn the channel when watching the Today Show.

I've always found her to be more about her appearance (legs, batting her eyelashes, holding her glasses just the right way) than being a serious news person.

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I'm merely pointing out that better people than you have passed judgment on my abilities, and I'll accept their opinions. Veteran journalism professors and newspapers editors have made those judgments many times, and decided that on a state and national level, I was at the top 26 times in numerous categories ranging from deadline writing, enterprise, investigative reporting and features. I don't know why you dragged Mizzou into this argument. He doesn't know where I work and you certainly don't either.

You're the one who is getting irrational and insulting just because someone doesn't agree with you. For you to throw out words such as "embarrassment" and question any respect someone would have for me just because I have certain opinions on radio commentators and NFL football analysts is the sign of a very immature person who is very insecure about their own convictions.

10. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

does katie have good legs?

11. Gold

Gold Active Member

Hondo:

If you need journalism professors and awards to validate your work, it is you who is insecure.

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

That wasn't the point: the point is I would accept the judgment of a bum in the street on my work before I would give a rat's ass what you think. And much more important than contest judges is what my superiors, colleagues and readers think of me. I stand comfortably on all of that.

Draft saved Draft deleted