1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So which of the Harry Potter threads on the first page should I read?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by buckweaver, Jul 21, 2007.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

<a href="http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/44150/">Door No. 1.</a>
    <a href="http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/44467/">Door No. 2.</a>
    <a href="http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/44518/">Door No. 3.</a>

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

None of the above.

3. Cadet

Cadet Guest

You're just jealous.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

That's it. 8)

Although I did watch another one of those movies last night.

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Who's this Harry Potter of whom you speak?

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I am a lot of things, Cadet. But jealous of Harry Potter fans is not one of them.

7. This is Door No. 4, right?

Do I need to start another thread pointing out that another thread has been added?

8. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

Idadoor.

9. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Jealous that you all aren't part of the cultural and literary phenomenon.

10. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I haven't been into fantasy novels since I was a junior-high-school dweeb whose pathetic existence revolved around Dungeons and Dragons and Led Zeppelin. Fortunately, in 9th Grade, I discovered punk rock and Kurt Vonnegut. I left the goofy Anglophilic world of spells and sorcerers behind many, many moons ago.

But, I'm not going to scoff at Harry Potter. Maybe it's not grade-A literature, but it's a BOOK. In a day and age when people are semi-literate at best and people under 20 seem to know little besides video entertainment, Harry Potter is a character in a series of BOOKS. You know, those archaic things with words on paper that people read. They just sit there and READ, for hours at a time!

So I'm no Harry Potter fanatic, but I'll give the whole Potter phenomenon a thumbs-up. Yeah, it's not what I'm into personally, but dammit, people are READING. That's welcome news in these degraded times.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Well said. Pretty much ditto for me.

12. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I've never been into sci-fi/fantasy stuff. LOTR bored me, never got into the Matrix. But these books are so well written, and indeed such a cultural phenomenon, that I recommend them to anyone.

Draft saved Draft deleted