1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So where's the thread for the GOP debate Sunday night?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Yawn, Oct 22, 2007.

1. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I was being neither narrow minded nor insulting in my statement. I made a cogent argument on why a man with such a small view, despite the evidence presented, is unfit to be the commander in chief.

If you would disagree, please do so. However, might I point out that it would be best to make your points with actual logic by posting why something is incorrect instead of just saying that it is.

2. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Shove your logic. I'm talking about eliminating a man on the basis of a tunnel-vision issue (one which pales greatly in comparison with some of the more pressing issues this country is facing) and is no more relevant than whether he thinks the White House bedroom walls need to be painted purple. A person's view far exceeds one miniscule issue and if you're too ignorant to realize that, then let bush blow the fuck out of Iran and see how many people are screaming "But Mr. President, what about Evolution?" Give me a break.

3. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Even Fenian "might" agree that we need a President with moral courage. Of course, then we go to what his definition of moral courage is and all bets are off.

4. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

No. I will not “shove my logic.” We’re talking about an issue that is a microcosm of what the man stands for. All evidence on this planet says that evolution occurred. This evidence was presented to Mr. Huckabee. Mr. Huckabee’s response wasn’t “Wow. I learned something.” His response was “I don’t believe it.”

I don’t want a man that has aspirations for the highest office in the land to be unable and unwilling to view evidence.

This would be no different than having a guy say, “No matter what, we will never go to war with Iran.” I’m sorry, but that kind of view is an end point. Regardless of the evidence, the individual has already come to a conclusion. Let’s say the person was presented with indisputable evidence that Iran was building nuclear weapons, had an army fully trained and was lining up soldiers for an invasion of the US? The person saying, “No matter what…” has already determined the response. Their mind is closed.

Huckabee is that equivalent. He’s already made up his mind on evolution. He doesn’t care what the evidence really is. The man has already shunned any idea that challenges his world view. Thus, the man is unfit.

5. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

There you go again -- what facts? There is a reason it is called the THEORY of evolution and will remain called that because it has never been nor will it ever be proven, which is what would have to happen before it became factual.

It is a theory based on a whole lot of logical leaps that aren't very logical because there are more holes in it than the there are in the Bengals defense.

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Do you get a flu shot every year? Or maybe your parents do? And this MRSA virus, how did THAT become drug resistant? Small scale, I know, encompassing a couple of years, compared to, say, the millions we're talking about on grander scales.

7. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Saddle the dinosaurs!

8. Zag, do you believe in the THEORY of gravity, which has, to use your words "never been proven" either, or do you somehow float to work in your tin-foil hat while the rest of us walk on the ground thanks to a "theory" that has been proven over and over for centuries?

This from Wired magazine on how Jesus freaks like Zag and Mike Huckabee continue to misuse the word "theory" to justify their ignorance toward science.

"This is the central argument of evolution deniers: Evolution is an unproven "theory." For science-savvy people, this is an incredibly annoying ploy. While it's true that scientists refer to evolution as a theory, in science the word theory means an explanation of how the world works that has stood up to repeated, rigorous testing. It's hardly a term of disparagement."

9. That's not what baby Jesus means by it, though.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

The thread I wanted to see was on the GOP debate at Morgan State. Any of the candidates say "you people"?

11. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

None of the candidates that mattered showed up. GOPers like to say that Democrats just pay lip service to the needs of black people, but never back it up. If that's the case, it's still more than the GOP offers.

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Now I know why I've ignored the debates.

In the deep recesses of my mind, I knew they would lead to Yawn starting a thread.

Draft saved Draft deleted