1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So where's the thread for the GOP debate Sunday night?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Yawn, Oct 22, 2007.

1. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

The populism message hasn't been hitting in this campaign-on either side, judging by the struggles of Huckabee (perhaps until now) and Edwards.

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Edwards is a clown. I hear him talk and it seems like pandering to me. I actually at least think Huckabee cares about that stuff beyond just winning votes.

3. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

The Republicans will be better off in the long run if those on the far right leave the party. They might actually have a chance to be a mature political party again.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Yes, indeed . . . St. Ronald (What The Hell, It's Not MY Money . . ") Rayguns . . . yet another
    ventriloquest's dummy.

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Oh, Naaaaaannnnncy . . .

6. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Well, I for one will applaud it. Although FEMA deserves blasting for its Louisiana response time, let's just say the word Democrat in Louisiana isn't exactly a good word. Nagin and Blanco deserve some scorn here too. Jindal basically kicked ass in the primary.

This is a good victory for the GOP, but I wouldn't try to take it national.

7. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

I like Huckabee, but his preacher-past scares me. I'm a Christian, though not a strict Baptist minister type Christian, as Huck seems to be.

It's just that one of the last people I want running the country is someone who thinks the Constitution should be based on the Bible. An amendment banning gay marriage? Why? What does that solve? The church in this country is wayyyyy too powerful when it comes to people voting on how to run the country. I'm all about standing up for what you believe in, but I also believe firmly in the separation of church and state, and I try to separate my religious beliefs from my beliefs on what America should be.

If it was a Muslim running for President and he tried to push his religious views on the Constitution and government, the church would be the first group to stand up and cry foul.

I'm not saying I'd elect someone who hated Christians but still preaches about free speech and the Bill of Rights, but I'm not going to vote for someone who supports running this country with his Bible in his right hand. Just not my kind of guy.

That said, he's better than Rudy.

8. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

Ron Paul?

9. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Ron Paul's saying a lot of things worth saying. The mainline, machine GOP will marginalize him, of course, and his shot at national office hovers near absolute zero, but he's more credible than an old whore like Fred Thompson.

11. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Kill the kittens!!!!!!! ;D ;D

12. stan_solo

stan_solo New Member

Dead. To. Me!!!!!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted