1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So where's the thread for the GOP debate Sunday night?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Yawn, Oct 22, 2007.

1. Yawn

Yawn New Member

I'm now convinced that Mike Huckabee will be part of a ticket, if not the man, then someone's running mate. Though he's in disagreement with Guiliani on social issues, that would create geographic balance for the ticket. The man makes more sense than many, and got plenty of votes in the polls on who won the debate. And now, that's happened twice I know of.

2. Unless I missed it, I also didn't see a thread about Bobby Jindal's victory in the Louisiana governor's race Sunday. I would think this is noteworthy, because he's an Indian-American and he's replacing a governor who should get a fair share of blame in bungling the response/preparations for Hurricane Katrina.

But Jindal's a Republican, so he gets nothing. And he's succeeding a Democrat, so no big deal. I guess.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Knock me over with a feather, but I agree with Yawn.

Huckabee's the best candidate the Republicans have going, and he always sounds good at the debates.

As to the general premise of Lyman's remarks, I'll just say that there is nothing dumber than a "Where is the thread about fill in the blank." If you want there to be a thread, start one, or STFU.

4. Knock me over with a feather, but I agree with Zeke. Both on Huckabee and the thread stuff. I was just trying to make a point, inelegant as it might have been.

5. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Huckabee's an interesting candidate for the Republicans-sort of a mix of economic populism and social conservatism. I've heard it suggested that his sort of down to earth populism is the reason why many in the Republican leadership who would ordinarily support a conservative like Huckabee have been slow to warm to him (besides perhaps the money factor). I don't know if that's the case or not, but it seems to make sense.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I'm just wondering why he isn't campaigning harder.

He doesn't seem to be spending much time in Iowa or New Hampshire.

7. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

Huckabee's probably the best candidate, but you watch: The ConServs will line up behind Rudy G, and Huck will have to settle for the Vice President slot.

What a shame that would be.

8. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Man, Republicans were so much more tolerable when they were AGAINST self-pity and the culture of victimization. If you think something's noteworthy, start a thread about it rather than bitching that other people didn't already do it. Grow up.

9. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

RePubs and Dems alike are screaming too much and lying too much, Boomer.

What we need here is two or three other parties in the mix, dontcha think?

Spread that vote around. Choose someone honest and good this time.

What I'd like best is for this country to grow up now and take back this democratic process.

People count in this country -- not corporations first, not Washington politicos first, and definitely not this celebrity bullshit the media keeps chasing after.

The poorer class should come first, middle class right after that, and those in the upper class?...........Well, you've had a great run. A nice big fat run for 50 years or so. Now think about sharing the wealth sometime.

If I'm not mistaken, the United States was founded on that premise: Share the wealth, and spread the vote. Get this democracy back to the people.

Otherwise, we're just sucking up to corporations and politicos who care nothing about us, right?

Yeah, I'm pissed off about all this.

Discuss.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

"I'm more conservative than youuuuuuuu!" (whines)

"Nooooooo . . . I'm more conservative than youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu . . . " (throws rattle).

That's what you'll see.

And the swing, independent voters who decide elections tilt their heads upward, and roll their eyes.

Come back when you've got something new, boys, which might actually help the working class of America get along, day by day.

Until then . . . keep playing with yourselves.

11. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I like a lot of what Huckabee says and has done, more than what I don't like about him. But the things I don't like about him make it tough for me to support him. Out of all the GOPers, he'd be my guy I think. But his disbelief in evolution, and some of the other things he's said would still make it tough for me. But at least he's willing to speak out on things that the rest of the candidates are too weak to talk about. I'm all for someone speaking with a little populism.

12. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Ben, you can bet St. Ronald's name will be invoked.

Draft saved Draft deleted