1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So where does Vince Young stand now?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Prince of Persia, Aug 28, 2007.

1. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

White vs. black?! Whose making it white vs. black? I'm just making a point.Nothing to do about skin color. Carson Palmer. Great QB. Considered to be one of the top 5 qb's in the league.....hasn't taken a playoff snap. You see what I'm saying? It's not easy to win "a few playoff games" let alone get your team to the playoffs.
    And yes, winning in Lambeau is a joke now, but at that time it wasn't. He was the first qb ever to win a playoff game in Lambeau. Ever.

EDIT: Carson got his team to the playoffs once but got injured against the Steelers on the first play. Steelers went on to win the SB.

2. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

You out there Chuck? Not to speak for TP but it is possible he wasn't referring to skin color.

Some folks see every issue as either white or black and can't appreciate there might be some gray mixed in, too.

3. LiveStrong

LiveStrong Active Member

Vick in that game at Lambeau:

13-for-25, 117 passing yards, one TD, no INTs, 10 rushes for 64 yards. A true Hall of Fame performance.

4. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

Richie Sexson is having a lousy season, and if you disagree with it, you know nothing about baseball.

All true, but the second half of the sentence is gratuitous. If something you state is self-evident, it doesn't need defending. If you exhibit the need to defend it, it comes across as a lack of conviction.

Tighten up your rhetoric, Chuck.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

thank you arm. i guess the post now is correct on both levels.

6. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

That's not it.

It's having massive, ubertalented defensive tackles who keep blockers from ever reaching the LBs, keeping them in play to bottle up that bead of mercury wearing the 9 jersey.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Are you suggesting that Young ruin his hard earned street cred and jettison his peeps?

I guess I wonder why the need for the question in the first place. I thought we were over the African American QB thing. Why not just look up to any QB?

One day I hope that we live in an NFL nation where QB's will not be judged by the color of their skin but by their ability to avoid the rush and throw a 40 yard out pattern.

I thought we were there but I guess not.

BTW I would take Donavan Mcnab any day over Vince Young.

8. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

A rookie McNabb over a rookie Young.

Yes.

If you mean in their current state.... send me a dimebag, OK?

9. bomani jones

bomani jones Member

That's one of those games where the stats don't quite do descriptive justice. Vick was fantastic in that game and, as with nearly all the Falcons wins that year, put that sack of scrubs on his back.

As for Vince's inability to check down in the NFL, I'd suggest checking the tape of the Rose Bowl again. Of course, that was a college defense he was picking apart, but he went 30-40 and his leading receiver was his tight end. He wasn't just bolting when things weren't looking good then, and I don't think that'll be his problem in the NFL. More problematic will be receivers that make running seem like such a good idea.

If anyone wants to look at why Vince will be a better pro quarterback than Vick, check the college stats. Vince attempted 325 passes his last year at Texas. Vick threw 360 in his two years as a starter. There will never be another quarterback as talented as Vick that his the league more poorly prepared for the professional game than Vick was.

He's the last of a dead breed--the conventional option quarterback turned professional. You notice that Beamer didn't have Marcus Vick run the same offense, even though he and his brother had very similar skill sets.

Draft saved Draft deleted