1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So where does Vince Young stand now?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Prince of Persia, Aug 28, 2007.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

It was two years later, but point taken.

2. pallister

pallister Guest

Everything after 2005 seems like ancient history to me.

3. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

Late to the game, but did I really just read...

Took team to National Championship and won a few playoff games in the NFL > Won National Championship AND HS Championship in the most grueling HS football tournament in the country?

Seriously?

4. pallister

pallister Guest

I agree in total, but if Young never wins a playoff game and doesn't get to the Super Bowl, what he did in high school and college won't matter to his pro legacy. Just sayin'.

5. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Vick beating the Packers was a huge reason why the team went down the following year. Again people forget, the Packers were heavily favored. No one thought Favre could lose at Lambeau and Vick went down there and got the job done. And it wasn't a close game at all (27-7).

P.S. Don't throw around the "he just won a few playoff games" stuff. How many playoff games has Carson Palmer won?

6. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

Don't know and don't care. But he is a better QB than Vick ever was and ever will be.

7. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

My point is this. Winning "a few playoff games" is not as easy as all of you make it seem it is. Carson Palmer, who is a great quarterback, has no playoff wins and he's had more talent around him than Vick has ever had(yes I'm bringing it up, but I could care less. It's the truth and if you disagree with it, you know nothing about football).

8. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Winning at Lambeau is a huge joke right now. Young, Vick, any other quarterback has won at Lambeau. Come on now. The only reason why you are bringing up Carson Palmer is because he had no playoff experiences yet. He plays in a much tougher division than Vince. You have the AFC North and the South. Give Vince the Steelers, Ravens, and Bengals twice a year and you'll see how he performs. He'll get pounded by the Ravens. Come on Chuck. Look at the match-ups.

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Carson Palmer has taken one career playoff SNAP.

C'mon, Chuckie, don't go overboard in twisting the facts.

10. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

That, I would agree with.

However,
    Michael Vick in Year 1:
    | Year TM | G | Comp Att PCT YD Y/A TD INT | Att Yards TD |
    +----------+-----+---------------------------------------+-----------------+
    | 2001 atl | 8 | 50 113 44.2 785 6.9 2 3 | 29 300 1 |

Vince Young in Year 1:
    | Year TM | G | Comp Att PCT YD Y/A TD INT | Att Yards TD |
    +----------+-----+---------------------------------------+-----------------+
    | 2006 ten | 15 | 184 357 51.5 2199 6.2 12 13 | 83 552 7 |

Let's at least, Chuckie, give VY another year before we start deciding he can't live up to Ookie.

11. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

I love Vince Young. I think he is the greatest college player I've ever seen; his performances in the two Rose Bowls was amazing.

From what we know of Young so far, he seems determined to achieve his goals and stay on the straight and narrow. He has a reputation for being an incredibly dedicated player and something of a mama's boy. Now, there are lots of stories like this about the local boy who does good, and Young was a legendary player in Texas for years. Who knows how much is true, how much is myth and how much will change.

But the evidence so far is pretty compelling. In his earlier college days, Young was incredibly raw and relied almost exclusively on his running ability. As great as he was as a sophomore, his transformation as a junior was startling.

I talked to a well-known, highly regarded college football expert right before the 2005 NFL draft, and I asked him if Texas would win the national title. He said no, and cited the holes in Young's game as the reason why. Of course, we know how that turned out.

Then there were the questions about his intelligence. But he comes in, gets tossed into the fire and performs as well as anyone could have imagined. Matt Leinart has Larry Fitzgerald and Anquan Boldin, and no one doubts his intelligence or his bona fides as a pro-system QB -- but who do you think was more impressive as a rookie?

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

how bout if i say i disagree and add that you know nothing about football?

is everything in your life about white vs. black no matter how wrong you are?

Draft saved Draft deleted