1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So where does Vince Young stand now?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Prince of Persia, Aug 28, 2007.

1. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Whoa, whoa, whoa...

Young has won more than Vick to this point in their overall football careers, which is what I meant.

Young won a high school state title (in Texas, which is more difficult than most states), and then he beat USC for a national title damn near by himself in the second half.

2. pallister

pallister Guest

Can we please stop using "Vick beat the Packers at Lambeau" as a benchmark? At the time it seemed like a big deal (first Packers home playoff loss ever), but the very next year an 8-8 Vikings team went to Lambeau and won a playoff game. In hindsight, that win wasn't as colossal as some still seem to think.

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Perhaps we should stop the comparisons entirely. Young doesn't have enough of an NFL body of work to really make comparison legit. Focus more on what he brings to the game, like excitement and energy.

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Looked it up: Vince Young vs. Jacksonville, two games

23-51-3 passing (.451), 248 yards, five sacks, three picks, 5-26 third-down conversions (.192), 8-18 rushing, two offensive touchdowns.

Defense that have the speed to keep the receivers covered for a few seconds, then can get after him, so far have had some success against him.

5. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

Just so I'm clear you're questioning how good Young can be based on two games in his rookie year against one of the best defenses in the league?

And just for the hell of it, Peyton Manning against the Jags last year:
    14-31 (45.2), 219 yards, 2 sacks, 1 TD, 0 INT... 21-14 win
    25-50 (50.0), 313 yards, 1 sack, 0 TD, 1 INT... 44-17 loss
    And I'm sure you could go back to his rookie year and find two games as bad as Young's against Jacksonville last year.

Not saying Young will be as good as Manning but just seems odd/unfair to judge him based on two games.

6. pallister

pallister Guest

I don't think he's judging him based on those games, just providing some perspective and balance to the "Vince Young is the next great quarterback" argument. He's inexperienced, he's going to experience a lot of growing pains, and it's too early to determine if he'll be a good quarterback, much less a great one. Yes, he's exciting, but exciting doesn't mean good, and to bring this conversation full circle, the perfect example of that is Michael Vick.

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Actually, I wasn't judging him. Just pointing out that the Jags might have the kind of defense and scheme to give him trouble until he learns to down-check better instead of taking off when the first option isn't there.

8. Yeah, but this seems different somehow. McNair didn't produce the excitement Young is creating now, IMO

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Vince Young is definitely generating more excitement than any Titan ever -- and that list includes Air McNair and Eddie George, who are still beloved in Nashville and both maintain high profiles there.

But Nashville has a long history of loving black quarterbacks -- from Jefferson Street Joe Gilliam at TSU before the Steelers to Jimmy Streater in Knoxville, on down to Tee Martin leading the Vols to the undefeated National Championship.

10. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Streater ... what a waste of talent.

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

....and what a waste of perfectly good jerseys. Dude must have gone through a tearaway each quarter he played!

12. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

I just hope the Titans make these baby blue jerseys their permanent ones instead of just alterantes.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted