1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So where does Vince Young stand now?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Prince of Persia, Aug 28, 2007.

1. I don't think I've seen any discussion about this, so I thought I would throw this out there for debate.

There are so many things coming out of the Vick situation it's hard to ignore. There are some people sick of the coverage, some people upset only the football aspect of this is being talked about more, race discussions, etc, etc.

I'll throw something else into the football aspect of things because I think it's a legitimate byproduct of the Vick situation. Does Vince Young become the new Michael Vick in terms of being new guy the NFL markets and the new NFL athlete African-Americans look up to?

I think it's an interesting argument worth exploring. Young is Vick light in some ways. They both play quarterback, have similar styles, are/were the face of their respective franchises.

I would like to know from anyone living in Nashville if there are more black Titans fans because of Young. Did he have the same impact on the franchise as Vick did in terms of attracting the African-American community to become season ticket holders? I know the black population in Nashville is nowhere near the size of Atlanta's, but there has to be some impact.

Who knows if any of this has been brought to Young's attention. Most likely not. It might happen in subtle ways from here on out, but Young needs to be careful. I think because of the positions he plays, how young he is, how into the hip-hop culture he is, the Madden cover, he becomes the de facto leader/face of black players in the NFL.

With all that being said, I would hope if Young was surrounding himself with questionable characters before this Vick debacle, he has shed some of that weight. And the same can be said for other young, African-American sports superstars. But now the ball is really in Young's hands.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I'm not sure what Young's background is vis-a-vis entourages or past legal incursions, but I do know that he's twice the quarterback and leader that Vick ever was. I like watching Young because of his leadership and love for the game that I never saw from Vick. I'm not black, but I look up to him as a young player and hope he can turn the Titans into a winner. He's simply been fun to watch, all the way back to his days at Texas; I can't quantify it any better than that.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Last year, everyone was saying what a moron this was because he effed up his Wonderlic.

Now, he's a hero and potentially a new major marketing face for the NFL.

How fickle we are.

4. Very true. Just about everyone has forgotten about his Wonderlic performance.

5. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

I could see the NFL marketing the heck out of Young, and it'd be a great idea. If you're white, black, green, plad, whatever, you've got to like the guy. He's young, exciting to watch, seems like a nice enough guy. Seems like it'd be a good idea.

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

And it wasn't all that big of a deal to begin with. Lots of football players are not the sharpest tools in the shed; that doesn't mean they aren't successful.

7. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

I'm not sure it's accurate to say everyone was saying Young was a moron for effing up his Wonderlic.

8. Not to jack my own thread, but has anyone ever taken a Wonderlic Test? The questions get harder as you go and you're not expected to finish the test. You're supposed to do as many questions as you can in 20-30 minutes.

9. LiveStrong

LiveStrong Active Member

wfw

10. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

The only thing that Vick and Young have in common is that they're both black quarterbacks who can run. Young has the ability to see over the pocket because his size and he's really clutch.
    Young's mechanics are pretty crappy but I think Vick's were worse because of that delivery. When Vick throws the ball, he has this weird flapping motion which may help with the bullet throws but it just kills your accuracy and it makes you have a much longer delivery(I know a little about this because that's what my coaches used to tell me in HS). Young throws the ball as if he's playing dice. Instead of bringing his arm high, he puts it low and it creates the weird side arm release. Young's release, in my opinion, is much easier to fix because all he has to do is bring the ball up high.

11. Chuck, I'm not just talking about each player's skill set here. I think that is just a small part of this whole thing. I think the two have plenty in common in terms of other things. I just want to see how Young handles the spotlight now because all eyes are going to be on him.

12. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Um, what about Donovan McNabb? Aside from the absurd athleticism, McNabb was superior to Vick in every facet: accuracy, character, dependability, fan friendliness and lack of off-the-field incidents. Has McNabb become too "corporate" to successfully market to the black community?

Draft saved Draft deleted