1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So, Where Do People Get Their News In The Future?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pete Incaviglia, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Owned and staffed by whom?

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The handful of reporters who are left that are win a reverse salary auction. Lowest 50 bidders get jobs each year, bumping out the 50 most experienced.

3. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Not to be pessimistic, but I have a bad feeling I've already seen the answer: The Government

Go ahead and re-read 1984 sometime soon. Orwell got the year wrong, but it's stunning how much he got right.

"Hello, I'm Winston Smith. My role at the Daily Globe is to edit the daily mantra from on high.

"Today's task includes using the find/replace key for our war coverage story. Find all references to our enemy being Eurasia and replace it with Eastasia ..."

4. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

It's amazing local news in so many communities will be dead. Gone. No more. How's radio doing these days? Does radio live on and outlive print?

5. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Radio does an excellent job of rewriting newspapers.

6. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Exactly. That's my point I guess. If people refuse to pay for news — and advertisers refuse to pay enough for advertising in order to support paying reporters — isn't the whole industry dead? No one is going to work for free.

7. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

Pete,

I am so glad you asked this question and made this post because as a former full-time newspaper guy with 13 years at a handful of different papers, I have been struggling with this question myself for the last two years now that I am primarily a freelancer.

The rapid pace with which the industry has changed in just the last six months makes it difficult to keep up with, but I have partnered with two other passionate journalists to explore this topic further in a book project we have undertaken. We already have gotten some interesting feedback and theories.

In order to better get the word out about our project we have created both a blog on eBlogger and a Twitter account -- and before I get yelled at and labeled a hypocrite after the way I railed against Twitter on the Scott Carter thread, let me explain. Apparently, this has become an effective way to market things now and one of my partners wanted to give it a try.

So here are the links:

http://journabookproject.blogspot.com/

www.twitter.com/jonbookproject

In the meantime, as others have said to you on your D-Day thread, keep that resume polished. I just updated mine and am about to take it to a company outside of the industry just to cover my bases as the bills continue to mount and the assignments, while still somewhat steady, begin to dwindle just enough to make me scared.

8. NDub

NDub Guest

I don't believe journalism is dead. But the mediums and deliveries are going through a huge change and will continue to do so as long as technology continues to grow.

I believe smallish newspapers which are 100 percent local will be the last to go. Multiple newspapers in a city won't be around. That 100 percent local will allow for only one (local advertisers will only go to that one) city newspaper. Readers will only be able to find out the happenings of their smallish towns/cities by their papers. A city of 25K is only going to get coverage of local hoops team, local gov't and local economy from local paper, not Yahoo.com or CNN.com.

Big city papers will go away. I don't know how fast or in what manner they've evolve into, but they'll be gone.

The CNN model right now is beyond this IReport stuff. It works with Facebook and Twitter to get the news to your profiles, cell phones and e-mails. As digital media grows and morphs, the media will have to as well to reach its audience.

Here, check out this story from the American Journalism Review about traditional media turning to social networking.

http://www.ajr.org/Article.asp?id=4646

9. NDub

NDub Guest

And here's a shorty about Facebook/CNN relationship for President Obama's inauguration.

http://www.allfacebook.com/2009/01/facebook-cnn-inauguration-results/

10. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

All good points, NDub. As someone working in a bi-state area with two competing 40-50K circulation papers, I'm well aware of the death march between the two of us. And in my view, the one that covers local news/sports/lifestyles the best will survive. Hope that's us.

Also, I know of one small daily in a smaller (but very unique) city that could be online only real soon. There's talk that the Juneau Empire, in Alaska's capital city, will go that route. But it actually might make sense for them. No roads in or out, so everything has to be shipped there by plane or ferry. If you think newsprint is expensive for your shop ... those rolls of newsprint literally weigh a ton, so they must be expensive as hell to put on a boat.

Plus, that town is pretty computer-savvy, and the Empire web site gets tons of hits and plenty of comments. Not sure if they're making a lot of ad revenue from it, though.

11. school of old

school of old New Member

I'm no advocating this model, but it's important to remember the typical American media business model is not the one and only business model. The BBC is technically a part of the government, no?

Draft saved Draft deleted